water chemistry

svachon9

On 9/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, svachon9 said:

PH 7.8 

KH  20

GH 10

PH and GH are not bad but the KH is very high.  Is this a concern?  Am I limited in the type of fish or plants I can keep?

Water parameters are fine you should have no problems with most fish species.

Chasing numbers is more headache than it’s worth. Gh is calcium and magnesium, kh is carbonate. There are a bunch of interactions that take place between these ions and your water, fish, and plants. But it’s not important information (to the average hobbyist) and tends to get confused, so forgive me for not going into more detail.

Ok so I tested my Ca and it is less than 20mg/l (ppm).  That's a low as my test kit goes.  It says I have <20.  Do I need to add calcuim?

What is the proper amount (I've read 70-90 ppm) and what is the best way/product to do so?

Edited by svachon9

I found Seachem Equilibrium but it seems to boost all minerals, not just calcium.  Will this skyrocket my GH?  Can I just boost Ca?  I have only found products for salt water.  API has a salt water calcium boost.  I spoke to them and they said I can use it for freshwater also but it will boost my overall hardness.  Ugh!! and suggestions?  How hard of water is too hard?  I'm already at 10 degrees hardness.

Edited by svachon9

Calcium and magnesium are measured by gh. General hardness. So if your calcium test kit is accurate most of your gh is magnesium. Adding calcium salts will increase your gh, because gh measures calcium.

Again chasing water parameters is more of a headache than it’s worth. Calcium is needed in some form by fish for ion channels in their gills, but they can also get this from their diet. 

If you want you can add crushed coral, which is calcium carbonate. It will slowly dissolve into calcium and carbonate ions thus raising your gh and kh. But again I believe it to be unnecessary in your situation 

Thank you for your expertise on this.  So you don't think calcium this low is a major problem?  I'd like to keep Angels, Red Eye Tetras, Mollies and Rainbow fish.  But I'd also like to, if possible, keep some hardy plants- Java Ferns, Anubias and Vals.  Do you see any issues?

On 9/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, svachon9 said:

Thank you for your expertise on this.  So you don't think calcium this low is a major problem?  I'd like to keep Angels, Red Eye Tetras, Mollies and Rainbow fish.  But I'd also like to, if possible, keep some hardy plants- Java Ferns, Anubias and Vals.  Do you see any issues?

Of course! And im going to nerd out on you for a second. Angelfish and discus were part of a really cool study that showed even with water that had 0 gh for long exposures the angelfish and discus had no issues with ion exchange in their gills.

And what they found is that these fish possess a unique ability to pump ions across their gills mechanically. Meaning without the help of calcium and magnesium they were still able to absorb needed nutrients from the water!

The same goes for many fish that comes from the amazon where the water is extremely lacking in minerals. All this is to say you are totally fine with your water parameters.

• Like 1