Favorite DIY root tabs?

What are your guys' favorite DIY root tab methods / brands for the fertilizer you fill them with? Buying pre-made root tabs is so expensive I've been debating making my own but I'm not sure what the consensus is on what to fill the capsules with, or even if there is a particular kind of capsule that is best.

I'd love any and all advice!

I make my own root supplements by filling empty gel caps with aqua soil. I wouldn't say these are more effective than commercial root tabs, or cheaper for that matter!!! Just an easier way to get aqua soil into the substrate without tearing apart my whole tank. IMO and if I were you, I'd stay away from the DYI Osmocote trend. Using a terrestrial plant fertilizer in an aquatic setting with limited knowledge is a recipe for disaster!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 3:27 PM, JoeQ said:

I make my own root supplements by filling empty gel caps with aqua soil. I wouldn't say these are more effective than commercial root tabs, or cheaper for that matter!!! Just an easier way to get aqua soil into the substrate without tearing apart my whole tank. IMO and if I were you, I'd stay away from the DYI Osmocote trend. Using a terrestrial plant fertilizer in an aquatic setting with limited knowledge is a recipe for disaster!

That's kind of what I figured LOL. Mixing terrestrial fertilizer with aquariums seems unwise in general... 🤔

I make my own root tabs with plaster of Paris as binder. I don't bother filling gel caps. I spread them into thin sheets that can later be cut into squares after drying and hardening. I find this makes placing them into substrate easier than slippery gel caps.

I make N-P-K tabs separate from iron tabs. Lots of recipes available online.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've tried a lot of root tabs, done a lot of research on the contents, viewed testing on them as well.  I think tropica has some good ones, but we don't really have those here... and I always go back to the seachem tabs.  Just so much easier to use and work better than everything else for me.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

I make my own root tabs with plaster of Paris as binder.

That's awesome. Would be cool to see your process when you make a batch one day.

• Like 2