Dry fertilizer-need insight/tips PMDD dosing

Minanora

I'm about to venture into my gla dry fertilizer adventure. I'm using the rotala butterfly calculator.

I feel like mixing the fertilizer in distilled water is the way to go.... I'll be using my RO, what fertilizers can I absolutely not mix together in the dosing solution?

I'm thinking about the fertilizer that's crystalized on my easy green, so I'm less nervous now, but I also want to make sure I'm not mixing things that'll not work as well if they're in a 6.2pH solution.

Is it better to dry dose? I have a gram scale, we use it for adding salts/minerals to our water when we brew beer.

I'm using the pmdd method as it is similar to my previous fertilizing routine using seachem flourish products. I may adjust it along the way as I do not routinely water change, and I plan to dose at a half rate to start.

I have one tank that will not be getting this fertilizer method,. I have one tank that gets easy green once a week, and no water changes. Which is kind of my goal with this pmdd dosing trial. My other tanks need more potassium and iron then easy green provides without adding excessive nitrogen. Easy iron doesn't work well with my other tanks high pH.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:12 AM, Minanora said:

I'm about to venture into my gla dry fertilizer adventure. I'm using the rotala butterfly calculator.

I feel like mixing the fertilizer in distilled water is the way to go.... I'll be using my RO, what fertilizers can I absolutely not mix together in the dosing solution?

I'm thinking about the fertilizer that's crystalized on my easy green, so I'm less nervous now, but I also want to make sure I'm not mixing things that'll not work as well if they're in a 6.2pH solution.

Is it better to dry dose? I have a gram scale, we use it for adding salts/minerals to our water when we brew beer.

I'm using the pmdd method as it is similar to my previous fertilizing routine using seachem flourish products. I may adjust it along the way as I do not routinely water change, and I plan to dose at a half rate to start.

I have one tank that will not be getting this fertilizer method,. I have one tank that gets easy green once a week, and no water changes. Which is kind of my goal with this pmdd dosing trial. My other tanks need more potassium and iron then easy green provides without adding excessive nitrogen. Easy iron doesn't work well with my other tanks high pH.

When making a solution do not mix your micro fertilizer with any macro (kno3, Kh2po4, K2S04) ect. Also be aware there is also a different phosphate called K2HO4, I only mention this because you mentioned ph issues, which I believe is the main difference between deciding to use KH2PO4 vs K2HPO4. As far as dry dosing vs solutions, IMO dry dosing is more accurate but it is not as convenient as adding a few pumps to your aquarium and starting your day. While solutions get tricky with solubility issues and chemical interactions, they are more convenient. If you do choose solution, MAKE SMALL BATCHES until you develop a good recipe that works or you risk wasting a lot of product. I recently discovered most of my batches were weakened by adding magnesium sulfate...... Evidently the sulfer atoms were surrounding my nitrate atoms which was causing perception of compounds......@Mmiller2001

• Thanks 1

The above is an excellent source when it comes to dry dosing. As stated, I prefer solutions, but have only been doing dyi fertz since November of last year. I mainly do EI dosing and pps-pro, let me know if you want any of my recipes, which probably aren't the best but they will get you pointed in the right direction.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

@JoeQ thank you for your thoughtful input. I hadn't even considered the different phosphates. My pH is very high, hardness is a major issue for me when choosing plants I want to kill. Some live days, some live years and appear to thrive even.

All joking aside. I'd love some of your recipes to reference.

I'm actually thinking I'm willing to get back into weekly 60% water changes on my 75 gallon now that summer is winding down.

My 75 has about 120 fish in it. So without water changes the nitrate stays at around 10ppm with the current plant load. I don't feed the plants any N. At least I didn't when I was actively fertilizing. Only K, iron and micros. Plus some root tabs. The tank was looking fantastic. Still looks good now but I've lost some stems (all of them), and I have some hair algae that's in retreat now that I am running co2 again. Moss is taking off, crypts look amazing, swords and Java ferns look ok, anubius is alright, buce is hiding in the moss.

Edited by Minanora
Forgot the thank you that I said in my head

Just make the solutions more diluted if you’re worried. Example, 1ml per 10 gallons is Xppm. Make it 20ml per 10 gallons is Xppm.

I prefer dry dosing but it’s personal preference. My setup is 2 Brute cans with exact known gallons. I dose these cans to the numbers I want the aquarium to be. So that’s Ca:Mg (GH) and all my Macros. My weekly water change is both water change and dosing the tank. This method holds the aquarium at these numbers no matter how much water I change. I make a solution for micros and dose the tank 2 to 3 times throughout the week. I always dosed the first day immediately after the water change. This ensures Micros get off the floor. Depending on which micros you use, more may be needed depending on the pH.

• Thanks 1

Here are the recipes im currently using:

9-6-23 PPS-Pro Macro

Kno3 – 9.1g, KH2P04 – .8g, K2S04 – 16.6g, 296ml Purified H2O

Dose 2ml (1 pump) Per 10g daily when lights are off

Dose Adds: NO3 - 1ppm, PO4 - 0.1ppm, K-1.9ppm S-0.5ppm

9-6-23 PPS-Pro Micro

CSM+B – 8.6g, 296ml Purified H2O

Dose 2ml (1 pump) Per 10g daily when lights are off

Dose adds: FE 0.1

9-16-23 EI Macro

Kno3 – 34.3g, KH2PO4 – 5.2g, 296ml Purified H20

A dose of 2ml per 5g every other day will add

NO3 - 7.5ppm, PO4 -1.3ppm, K-5.2ppm.

9-16-23 EI Micro 

CSM+B – 8.6g, 296ml Purified H2O 

Dose 2ml (1 pump) Per 5g ever other day.

Dose adds:

FE 0.2

If you notice the micro fertilizer for both the EI and PPS is the same batch, all i did was change the dose size.

Where I messed up big was this batch:

8-04-23 EI Macro

Kno3 – 118.0g, KH2PO4 – 23.0g, Mgso4 - 25.0g, 500ml Purified H20, 10ml Ez carb

A dose of 2ml per 10g every other day will add:

NO3-7.50ppm, PO4 -1.30ppm, K-5.27ppm,  Mg-0.26ppm, S-0.34ppm,  dGH-0.06

Not only did I use magnesium sulfate, I used ez carb.... Which contrary to dry fert advice on youtube; is not necessary to prevent mold. Just store it in a cool & dark place. The 3rd bone headed mistake I made was using a container too small. Im sure there are exact measurements but 510ml of liquid and 175g plus of dry chemicals results in about a 700ml solution, so plan accordingly!!!

Hope all this helps, let us know how it goes!

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1