Peninsula tank owners

meadeam

I'm starting to make plans for a peninsula tank that has been a long time coming.  I put a small room addition on my house, and the tank will be a room divider.  I stared with plans for a 6' tank, but have since modified the addition plans and robbed myself of a couple feet.  I've only got room for a 4' tank, I could do possibly do 5' if I am very efficient with the space, but I haven't seen many 5' tanks.  In the 48" sizes, I am thinking 75g makes the most sense... 90, and 110 seem too difficult to clean, and I already hate to gravel vac. 

Anyway, I'm collecting ideas for how to filter, aerate, and heat the tank.  I'm leaning toward a sump now because it gets most of the gear out of the tank for a nice clean look which is important in this case.  I am sure there is someone around here with a sump filtered peninsula who can share pros and cons of the setup, and how they decided on whatever method of overflow and/or drilling they chose.  The tank will be home to small fish, tetras and cories mostly.   I want a big school of little fish rather than bigger fish.  

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, meadeam said:

I've only got room for a 4' tank, I could do possibly do 5' if I am very efficient with the space, but I haven't seen many 5' tanks.  In the 48" sizes, I am thinking 75g makes the most sense... 90, and 110 seem too difficult to clean, and I already hate to gravel vac. 

4' is the standard for a lot of glass tanks.  I've seen 4, 5, and 6 foot tanks too.  If you want to look at 5' or longer I think you might have success finding a used acrylic tank as an option.  I believe those lengths and that style of tank is much more prevalent in the saltwater or acrylic side of things. 

@Bentley Pascoe has a few nice longer tanks, but none are setup as room dividers right now.