Is 30 yr old driftwood safe if I boil and soak it?

nMILLER

image.jpg.185fce370ceeafb1cb0c7db049cc6f9a.jpgSo I found a piece of driftwood when I was around 9, I’m now 42 so it’s pretty old. It sat it a windowsill that entire time but I’m not sure what kind of wood it is. Will it be safe for my betta if I boil soak boil soak it for awhile? I’m not planning on putting it in for at least a month so it would have plenty of time to be cleaned? Thanks!

Edited by nMILLER
Added photo
  • Like 2

I looks like what we call pacific driftwood or malaysian driftwood.  I would assume it is ok.  You can soak it, will likely take a little while because that wood is perfectly dense for aquarium use.   I would recommend soaking it in a large tote or trashcan with an airstone.  Change the water once a week and then see what grows on it.  You can always boil it if you need to eventually, but see if you get any sort of fungus or weird mold growing on the wood.  As long as things look ok, I think you're fine. 

If you do plan to boil it. I recommend getting something fish-only for cheap and using that.  I've had some mopani ruin a pot for me and I have the same thing happen with botanicals.  I have a fishroom only pan now for that reason.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 3:26 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can soak it, will likely take a little while because that wood is perfectly dense for aquarium use.   I would recommend soaking it in a large tote or trashcan with an airstone

I’ve seen people do this with very large pieces of driftwood but they also add a whole bunch of aquarium salt to the water to kill all of the things, if any exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking forward to following along @nMILLER 

On 9/3/2023 at 11:19 AM, nMILLER said:

not quite sure how to reply specifically

You can highlight words and a Quote selection button will come up. Click that and it will put that excerpt into your post.

Or to quote a whole entire post click the word “Quote” below it.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1