Canister Filter Outdoors

Stef

Hi forum members. I just installed a Fluval 207 to my goldfish patio pond (100 gal) for some extra filtration and water movement. There  have been two large sponge filters all spring/summer. The pond has been running since late April and now there seems to be a lot of sediment or silt on the plants (hornwort) and the roots of the water hyacinth. Plus I’m going to move the three goldfish (comets and a koi) inside in the fall and will then use the hopefully seasoned canister inside. 

So my question is more around protecting the canister from the elements while it’s outside for another month or two. I thought about a 5 gal bucket with a lid and dremmeling holes in the lid for the tubing. Also thought of a piece of tarp. 

Anyway, please let me know if you think this set up needs adjustment or could work as is. 

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Stef said:

Anyway, please let me know if you think this set up needs adjustment or could work as is. 

Looks great.

Technical declarations from an engineering side.  It's not rated or tested for outdoor use.  Also of note is that it's plastic and that will essentially become brittle outdoors.  On Cory's pond they actually ended up burying them in the ground and building a container for them (this is very common for ponds) and they do sell above ground UV / waterproof containers.  The big concern is UV and Rain.

• Like 1

@Stef I agree with @nabokovfan87 protect your investment immediately... I doubt the electronics are adequately protected against moisture... your biggest concern short-term would be rain or extremely high humidity. Interestingly, most pond air pumps (especially low end ones) also aren't even weatherized and have to be sealed up (a tote with a tight lid might be good answer for your filter... cheap & easy service access).

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The big concern is UV and Rain.

Thanks. Was hoping to just get through Sept and maybe October before I bring everything inside. I will get it protected asap! Thank you. 

• Like 1

@Stef I went through the same dilemma. Indoor equipment always went down pretty quickly outdoors. I invested in the pond guy simplyclear outdoor canister. It is a game changer. First off, it’s made for outdoor use. I use it on a 300 gallon stock tank, but is rated for ponds up to 1250 gallons. The cost was $189 which is comparable to most canisters you see online. Also cleaning it is a breeze. I’ve never opened it up. Simply detach the output and place on your lawn or vegetation. Push the lever on top up and down and as the water flows out, the lever is squeezing the sponges inside. The water comes out very dirty at first. Keep pumping until the water flows out clear. There’s also a UV sterilizer which helps me out but can be bypassed. It’s the best investment/ Father’s Day gift I’ve ever received. Yes, my wife is pretty awesome. Good luck 

Great tip @mynameisnobody I skipped the actual pond stores thinking the filters and pumps would all be overkill for a 100 gal above ground stock tank in my patio. Plus my thinking that the canister would be indoors for 9 months out of the year (in Chicago) wouldn’t damage it. Did you bury your simplyclear?  My “pond” is in my sunken patio which is already 5 feet below ground. 

@Stef I’m in Florida so mine is out all year round. I didn’t bury it, but it’s safe under a covered lanai. It would be overkill for a 100 gallon, but you could diy it to more than 1 pond. And for the price of a Fluval, I think this may actually be cheaper, not too sure about that though. Their customer service is top notch and will walk you through any issues. 

Sound advice, thanks @mynameisnobody  My 100 gal pond is an experiment to see that 1) I would enjoy an actual outdoor koi pond as much as my indoor aquariums, 2) I could grow the pond plants and 3) still being a little hesitant to digging up my back yard to install an in-ground real pond.

The fluval canister was $124 at a big box, but rated for much smaller water volume (45 gal max). I was looking for supplemental filtration so it worked out. Think I’m going to get a UV deck box to protect my fluval while it’s seasoning before I bring inside for the fall. But I think the pond guy filter can handle the volume and take the outdoor abuse so it’s worth the money. Next year!

• Like 1