Bad eye wound on Corydora.

Khamomeal

This afternoon I noticed one of my corys has a huge chunk of their eye seperated from their head. Im unsure what to do. He clearly has been beat on and I have him in an isolation tank with some melafix. Do i need to try and remove this from the face to help them heal? Sorry for the not perfect pics. Its not easy to capture.

20230819_150656.jpg

20230819_150709.jpg

20230819_150727.jpg

On 8/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, Khamomeal said:

This afternoon I noticed one of my corys has a huge chunk of their eye seperated from their head. Im unsure what to do. He clearly has been beat on and I have him in an isolation tank with some melafix. Do i need to try and remove this from the face to help them heal? Sorry for the not perfect pics. Its not easy to capture.

20230819_150656.jpg

20230819_150709.jpg

20230819_150727.jpg

Poor thing. I’d say leave the fish and let it heal. You can add salt to the isolation tank too to help prevent infection, along with turning lights down low. Methylene blue acts as a great all in one medication you can apply directly to wounds or add into the water 

• Like 1

That definitely looks really, really bad.  If you're not wanting to Euthanize the fish I would immediately run a few things.

1. Maracyn (Erythromycin)
2. Aquarium Salt
3. Ich-X (malachite green for anti-fungal)
4. Catappa leaves (anti bacteria and anti fungal)
5.  Add oxygenation via airstone

If you don't see any improvement, I really would euthanize to limit suffering.  The main concern is making sure the fish can eat and function properly.  Whatever caused the injury needs to be fixed in the original tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thanks so much for the feedback. He's still really fiesty and ate just now but if he slows down I'll definitely keep euthanizing in mind. I'm unsure of the cause beyond bullying. This particular tank has had no changes in 6 months (outside maintenance) except for some corydora babies being born.

On 8/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, Khamomeal said:

Ok, thanks so much for the feedback. He's still really fiesty and ate just now but if he slows down I'll definitely keep euthanizing in mind. I'm unsure of the cause beyond bullying. This particular tank has had no changes in 6 months (outside maintenance) except for some corydora babies being born.

It almost looks like equipment damage or smashed into the lid potentially.  For corydoras you can't really fill the tank to the brim.  Is there any other fish in the tank apart from corydoras or decor that may have caused an issue?