New blood parrot acting weird

Sora

I just got a blood parrot cichlid for my 55 gallon around 2:30 ish. I floated the bag for about 20 minutes and then put him in. He went immediately for a flower pot and layer in it for about 4 hours without moving much. I gently touched him and he swam out and around the tank a little towards the bottom, and then settled again on his side. Is this still shock? Or is he sick? I’m thinking I should just wait until tomorrow morning to see if he’s better but idk. It’s a cycled 55 gallon, he’s the only fish and the parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20-40 nitrate.

here’s a pic (sorry for the glare)

07D79272-09B8-43C2-9925-BB13AB848B27.jpeg

He’s doing better today, still being shy and staying still, but upright. I tried feeding him some frozen brine shrimp, don’t think he got any of those but idk. Then I tried hikari goldfish food but I haven’t seen him actively go after anything.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:09 AM, Sora said:

He’s doing better today, still being shy and staying still, but upright. I tried feeding him some frozen brine shrimp, don’t think he got any of those but idk. Then I tried hikari goldfish food but I haven’t seen him actively go after anything.

It's possible he eating a small amount of the food when you go away from the tank what I would do is add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes at that level it won't harm your plants it will just give him a boost without any dither fish in the tank it could just be stressed or hiding away because he thinks there might be predators about 

Edited by Colu

Ok he/she’s doing great today, swimming around up to the top and bottom of the tank. They’ve eaten some of the vibra bites I’ve left and my plants 😤. Can anybody help identify if it’s a male/female? Thanks : ) 

670C4AAC-1AC2-4635-8835-654618720248.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...