pH Question

Zac

Hey all,

So my tap water has a pH of 6.8ish

My tank water has a pH of 6.6ish due to the driftwood I have in there

My tank water is also hard at 12dGh

I do have a colony of guppies in there that I’ve had for probably at least a year. I have lost a lot over time due to unknown causes. Maybe 15 or so. They’re never showing any signs of disease other than acting lethargic. It’s mostly the females but I’ve lost a couple males. For example, right now I have a juvenile female and a male just floating at the top not really eating, but all the other fish are completely fine, including my dwarf gourami. I have an airstone in  an aquarium coop filter running a pretty high amount of air so oxygenation shouldn’t be an issue here. Temperature is 78. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates is 10-15ppm. And the tank has lots of floating plants and lots of hiding spaces (picture attached)

Could pH be a contributing factor to this? Or could it be just weak genes causing some to die in a colony? Or maybe once in a while a guppy will just simply rest?

Also I have some nerite snails coming in the mail. I’ve read anything above pH of 6 is good as long as calcium is present. But some people swear at least 7. I plan on adding wondershells semi regularly to supplement their calcium…thoughts?IMG_4323.jpeg.215b3b6600d7bca8f78c5ccb91952a6d.jpeg

Edited by Zac

Guppies do best with a pH between 7-7.5 what your KH.  Usually  when guppies are exhibiting so of the  symptoms your describing it's due to low pH or lack of KH as the females are constantly pregnant they need a readily available supply of minerals that would explain why it's affecting your female guppies more than your males @Zac

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, Colu said:

Guppies do best with a pH between 7-7.5 what your KH.  Usually  when guppies are exhibiting so of the  symptoms your describing it's due to low pH or lack of KH as the females are constantly pregnant they need a readily available supply of minerals that would explain why it's affecting your female guppies more than your males @Zac

I have a Kh around 5. Should I invest in some crushed coral to raise it along with the pH? I suppose I’ve never been too concerned since I’ve never had a pH stability issue. I guess it makes sense now though

Edited by Zac

On 8/15/2023 at 10:11 PM, Zac said:

I have a Kh around 5. Should I invest in some crushed coral to raise it along with the pH? I suppose I’ve never been too concerned since I’ve never had a pH stability issue. I guess it makes sense now though

Typical you won't add one pound of crushed coral for 10 gallons I would put half that amount in and test for two weeks and add more if needed 

On 8/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, Colu said:

Typical you won't add one pound of crushed coral for 10 gallons I would put half that amount in and test for two weeks and add more if needed 

I guess my only concern is how much space it would take up in my tank. Since it’s 30 gallons (25 after all the decor is accounted for) that would be about a bag and a half of coral. I’ve never bought it so I’m not sure how big the bags are. Do you know? I’d probably end up trying to hide it in the back by my sponge filter especially since I’d like to get bottom feeders eventually

On 8/15/2023 at 11:57 PM, Zac said:

I guess my only concern is how much space it would take up in my tank. Since it’s 30 gallons (25 after all the decor is accounted for) that would be about a bag and a half of coral. I’ve never bought it so I’m not sure how big the bags are. Do you know? I’d probably end up trying to hide it in the back by my sponge filter especially since I’d like to get bottom feeders eventually

You can buy 2 pound bags 1 pound bags or 500g bags I bury  some in the substrate so it's less visible and put the rest in my canister filter 

On 8/15/2023 at 7:01 PM, Colu said:

You can buy 2 pound bags 1 pound bags or 500g bags I bury  some in the substrate so it's less visible and put the rest in my canister filter 

I appreciate your input. Last question…I’d like to get my pH to about 7 since almost anything can thrive in a neutral pH. Should I still add the amount you recommended? Also, how much does your kH usually rise when adding coral? Will nerite snails do well in neutral pH? I’d like to get Khuli loaches so I don’t want to raise it too high 

Edited by Zac

Yep, @Colu is right...I have a couple guppy specific tanks. Use to have the same issues FYI. My tap water came out at 7.2 but would drop to 6.8 due to me not capping Stratum properly. When I reset my tank after my move, I did the following things to assist and my guppies have been happy ever since...

Crushed Coral, I recommend adding to a media bag and hiding in substrate so you can easily change it as it will over time need to be. Also, adding in a media bag to either your canister or hang back filter is def advisable. 

Wonder Shell, you can make these yourself I hear but they aren't that expensive and help out greatly with livebearers. Also snails and shrimp love em as well as it provides pretty essential minerals for all. Especially female guppies that lose so much since they are spitting out fry nonstop! 😅

I also, like you, provide multi filters in way of a canister and also a couple sponge filters. I do this as with live bearers a tank can go from 5 to 25 in no time...more filtration means cleaner water and happier fishy friends. Aeration is mint as well!

I prefer to pair my guppies with Corys, Snails and Amano Shrimp, they just all cohabitate well together in a nicely planted tank. On planted, you know as everyone else...keep hiding spots for fry and females, especially females if you have way too many boys. Also, with males...if you get too many, I HIGHLY suggest a fraternity tank to make sure your females are not endlessly harassed as that will stress them and shorten their life spans. 

Lastly, they do rest and sleep so to speak. Mine like to rest on top of my longer heavier plants and when food hits the tank...they are lickity split on it and swimming around right as rain. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 12:18 AM, Zac said:

I appreciate your input. Last question…I’d like to get my pH to about 7 since almost anything can thrive in a neutral pH. Should I still add the amount you recommended? Also, how much does your kH usually rise when adding coral? Will nerite snails do well in neutral pH? I’d like to get Khuli loaches so I don’t want to raise it too high 

Each tanks is different That why I always start at half the recommended amount of crushed see were my pH and KH sit after 2 weeks and add more if I need it crushed coral dissolves more quickly in acidic water the higher your pH the slow it will dissolve from what I have read nerite snails are fine with a pH between 6.5 and 8.0 as long as they are getting enough minerals for shell growth

• Like 1