Weird red blotches on my fish body

Kevin A

Please help me guys. My red zebra danio has been having this thing for the last 2 weeks. He’s been moving energetically from time to time but would mostly sit idle in one corner. He’s still feeding but not actively. Only when you drop food in front of him. 

I don’t know is this a disease or parasite internally or externally. Could also be bacteria. Anyone encountered this thing before? 

My advance thank you to anyone 🙏

image.png.8ac0cd2674088bbe93b458664914947a.png

image.png.fd828af480309aaf0e6a3369808aad5b.png

image.png.0926931e22be4d954173b9670231f428.png

On 8/13/2023 at 12:28 PM, Kevin A said:

Please help me guys. My red zebra danio has been having this thing for the last 2 weeks. He’s been moving energetically from time to time but would mostly sit idle in one corner. He’s still feeding but not actively. Only when you drop food in front of him. 

I don’t know is this a disease or parasite internally or externally. Could also be bacteria. Anyone encountered this thing before? 

My advance thank you to anyone 🙏

image.png.8ac0cd2674088bbe93b458664914947a.png

image.png.fd828af480309aaf0e6a3369808aad5b.png

image.png.0926931e22be4d954173b9670231f428.png

Red blotches usually mean bacteria. I’m guessing the condition is pretty serious if it’s been going on for 2 weeks. You’re best bet is to quarantine if you have space and to treat with antibiotics like Maracyn and aquarium salt 

• Like 2

I agree with @Zac quarantine and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such kanaplex and 1 table spoon for 2 gallons of aquarium salt he's  not looking good if you can't quarantine I would dose the tank with kanaplex if you have live plants I would use a lower dose of salt 1 table spoon for 6 gallons at that level it won't harm your plants and add an extra air stone during treatment@Kevin A

Hi thank you for the response. 

So if I want to also treat my main tank with salt, I would put 1 table spoon of aquarium salt  for 6 gallons, then should I keep it at that or after a few days do water change or remove the salt with carbon? I have plants and snails in my main tank.

On 8/14/2023 at 12:33 AM, Zac said:

Red blotches usually mean bacteria. I’m guessing the condition is pretty serious if it’s been going on for 2 weeks. You’re best bet is to quarantine if you have space and to treat with antibiotics like Maracyn and aquarium salt 

Hi thank you for the response. I am living in the middle east and antiobiotic is not allowed to be sold here unless you go to vet and have some prescription and being here means there's not a lot of fish stores/vets. 

I am putting him in Meth blue + Aquarium Salt bath for 1 hour weekly. Should I increase more time or frequency? 

He seems do be doing fine now after my initial bath of him. The red blotches are gone but his underbelly seems to be "transparent" now and I can see his "organs i suppose" instead of the red blotches before. Could be organs or could be parasites I am not sure. 

On 8/20/2023 at 2:47 PM, Kevin A said:

Hi thank you for the response. 

So if I want to also treat my main tank with salt, I would put 1 table spoon of aquarium salt  for 6 gallons, then should I keep it at that or after a few days do water change or remove the salt with carbon? I have plants and snails in my main tank.

Hi thank you for the response. I am living in the middle east and antiobiotic is not allowed to be sold here unless you go to vet and have some prescription and being here means there's not a lot of fish stores/vets. 

I am putting him in Meth blue + Aquarium Salt bath for 1 hour weekly. Should I increase more time or frequency? 

He seems do be doing fine now after my initial bath of him. The red blotches are gone but his underbelly seems to be "transparent" now and I can see his "organs i suppose" instead of the red blotches before. Could be organs or could be parasites I am not sure. 

Salt can only be removed though water changes active carbon wont remove salt leave the salt for two weeks than remove the salt with water changes what I would do is daily methylene blue baths and for 5 days and see how he's doing after that