Ziss Never Clog Air Stone differences

AndyP

I was setting up a new 55 gallon aquarium last night and I noticed I have 2 different air stones. One has 2 blue pads with the plastic disc between them. The other ones have 3 green pads with plastic discs between each pad.

So, why the difference?

Also, should I take the blue air stone and add a plastic disc and pad to it, to give it the same setup as the green one?

• Like 1

All of my Ziss air stones have 2 pads and 1 plastic disc. Some blue, some green, some blue and green. I’ve tried more pads, less pads. One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. 

I’ve settled on 2 pads and 1 disc and I really hope that Cory is working on a “true” never clog air stone. Weekly I have to take the air stone out of the sponge filter and “wring” them out to keep the desired air flow I want. Would be awesome to not have to do that every week. 

• Like 1

Blue is the original version that co-op was selling.  Green is the updated version (different material on the felt washer).  Apart from that they are the same.  They absolutely do need to be cleaned in any use case scenario.

"never clog" simply means that is can be cleaned, not that you can set it in the tank and it will never clog.  All things in an aquarium, especially those with high flow, will build up some "stuff" over time.  I clean mine every 2-4 weeks.  Hold them under water, loosen the base so the washers can move, use your fingertips to rub off any stuck on grime and that's about it.

On 8/10/2023 at 8:34 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I’ve settled on 2 pads and 1 disc and I really hope that Cory is working on a “true” never clog air stone.

The older full plastic ones are avilable in some locations I would imagine. They won't go as fine, but they would last a bit longer.  I use 3 felt washers, 2 plastic ones on mine.  Some have 2, but it's right around there.

• Like 3

I have a few of the blue. Just ordered some of the new. What I have found works for over a month at a time is plastic disk / felt pad / plastic disk / felt pad / plastic disk.  Basically sandwiched 2 felt pads between 3 plastic disks.  Tighten to allow as many small bubbles as possible to create even flow. 

IMG_7634.jpeg