AquaClear 110 Users - I need your help.

Not to cause any controversy, but I am going with an AquaClear 110 for my new 75g, but I am a bit frustrated at the lack of real, accurate and relevant dimensional information. I have looked YT, Fluval and Amazon up/down/sideways... can't find the answers I need.

What I am wanting/needing to know is:

(1) With the filter lid on the unit, what is the height from the top of the tank rim to the top of the filter lid (not including the flow control switch that obviously sticks up further)?

(2) What is the outside thickness of the media chamber measured from the outside of the tank rim to back of the unit (in other words, how much room do you need between the tank rim and your back wall to fit this filter)?

Maybe I'm just blind or something (if so, then just humor me), but I found this information easily/quickly for the Tidal 110 (been around 5 years or so), but couldn't find it for the AquaClear 110 (been around for 30+ years? Shortly after electricity was discovered?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

@MattyM I've seen that. Here's the problem.

(1) With the filter lid on the unit, what is the height from the top of the tank rim to the top of the filter lid (not including the flow control switch that obviously sticks up further)?

That measurement is not even attempted in that diagram.

(2) What is the outside thickness of the media chamber measured from the outside of the tank rim to back of the unit (in other words, how much room do you need between the tank rim and your back wall to fit this filter)?

The 3.75" given at the bottom is not that measurement, as clearly the media housing is thicker at the top (behind where the tube connects to the filter unit).

Here is a comparison with the Tidal dimensions chart... really... no comparison.

What I am looking for is the equivalent of (P) and (D2) on the AquaClear.

But, thanks for trying.

image.png.3895efcf36344996439b7edcab440931.png

Edited by JChristophersAdventures

P the best we can do would be: 6.75" - 3.75" = 3" - but not a perfect measurement, as we can see that's missing some "lip" - so maybe make it 3.25".

D2 is hard to tell, but I would allow 4 inches for a little extra space. On my AC 55 I can confirm there is a slight taper from top to bottom, from 2.5" to 2.25". 

Personally, I would use that as a rough guide and add a bit more space for ease of servicing. But agreed there should be a better schematic somewhere out there 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MattyM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MattyM Thanks, again.

@Ed R As far as I know, the Tidal 75 will fit a 75 Aqueon (which is what I have) however, be aware that the AquaClear 70 will not fit the newer tanks as the rim (including the edge that holds a recessed lid) is wider than the older designs. The AquaClear is a great (tried and true) filter that was originally designed 30 years ago, with few changes over the years. You actually have to notch out the frame to get the AC70 to fit a modern 75g.

As for the Tidal filters, if you do the recommended mods, then it might be the best HOB filter, but out-of-the box the AquaClear is the better choice in my opinion. The only other thing is that the Tidals are cheaper by maybe around $20 when comparing the same size. So, I can certainly understand folks who choose the Tidal as their filter. Also you should know about the mods and what they do (why they are really needed).

Check out this series of posts: Testing Redux: Fixing the Seachem Tidal Bypass ...by @nabokovfan87 as it is really helpful, whether you have bought one yet or not. Thanks.

• Like 2

I'm not planning on buying a Tidal just to modify it, especially not for this newish Aqueon 75 that won't fit it unless I notch the rim, which I'm not going to do. The tank's well established now, using a Matten filter with two airlift pipes and a spare fx6 for chemical and mechanical , plus lots of flow. It ought to be fine for years;)

I wish the Tidal did fit without cutting, but the reason I bought that air pump was because the matten filter thing and the sponge filter setup are both amazingly effective and cheap and easy to set up. My plans are to increase the number of tanks and start breeding certain species, but most of the species I've picked to breed ( L046, L333, CW111, and the panda cory just for fun) take FOREVER to reach sexual maturity, so it's a waiting game for now....

• Like 1

Dimensions must have changed on either the tank or the filter, because a Tidal 75  I have from a few years ago will not fit the Aqueon 75 gallon tank I bought in June.  But that's ok, It'll fit a 40 or likely a 60 just fine.

I have been an Aquaclear user for decades,  I don't remember why I bought th eTidal instead of the Aquaclear, but I did. That's ok, though, my 240 is almost 20 years old , it's been up and running since January of 2004, and my 125 has been going strong for years, too. I'm moving to air-driven sponges in all my breeding and growth tanks, and keeping the display tanks as they are.

• Like 1

@Ed R Sorry about any confusion. I don't know why either of these filter companies would not design/re-design their filters to fit the most widely sold tanks in the US (the Aqueon). I was planning on equipping with the AquaClear 110, which I do know for sure fits the Aqueon 75g, but was just unsure of some critical measurements. My situation is a close/tight fit, so I was wanting to make sure of all the dimensions before purchasing.

Sounds like you have things already well in hand. Thanks, again.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

Not to cause any controversy, but I am going with an AquaClear 110 for my new 75g, but I am a bit frustrated at the lack of real, accurate and relevant dimensional information. I have looked YT, Fluval and Amazon up/down/sideways... can't find the answers I need.

110 will fit a 75G tank rim.  The AC 70 will NOT fit without cutting the plastic on the tank (not recommended).  The tidal 75 and tidal 110 will fit just fine on the 75G.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:55 AM, MattyM said:

Do you need more info than this? 

image.png.082b3954409a4e5b2e4acd25033303a4.png

On 8/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, JChristophersAdventures said:

1.  Looks like it will be about..... 1.5-1.75" on this dimention
2.  4" minimum on the AC 110 (preferably 5")

On 8/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Ed R said:

I was wondering if this filter would fit on an Aqeuon 75 gallon, as I know from experience that the Tidal 75 will not.

The Aquaclear 70 will not fit on a standard 75G tank.  The tidal 75 filter will fit on a standard 75G tank.  The Aquaclear 110 and the Tidal 110 will fit on a 75G tank.

• Like 1