Guppy Grass Pros and Cons

Zac

I found this brief pros and cons list about guppy grass on Reddit and found it pretty funny. I was debating on getting guppy grass for my tank but after reading into how fast it grows and crazy it grows it doesn’t seem like a low maintenance plant😅

I’d appreciate any stories about your experience with guppy grass and how it worked out for you

IMG_4297.jpeg.e4a571a83ea1addb06c435f1cb538b56.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guppy gras is fabulous. It a go to for me. It grows in almost any tank parameters and temps. I can use a plant weight for a bush or let it float to make a nice top cover. It’s needs no fertilizer or co2 and likes both high and low light. It grows fast  

My fish love it more than hornwort to swim through I’m guessing because it’s not so pokey. It makes a great fry hiding cover. I just have found no downside to guppy grass. Plus I think it looks beautiful 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

Guppy gras is fabulous. It a go to for me. It grows in almost any tank parameters and temps. I can use a plant weight for a bush or let it float to make a nice top cover. It’s needs no fertilizer or co2 and likes both high and low light. It grows fast  

My fish love it more than hornwort to swim through I’m guessing because it’s not so pokey. It makes a great fry hiding cover. I just have found no downside to guppy grass. Plus I think it looks beautiful 

Is there a good chance it would starve out my slow growing plants since it grows so fast?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:08 AM, Zac said:

Is there a good chance it would starve out my slow growing plants since it grows so fast?

I keep it with Java Moss and have no issues (yet). That said, if you float it, it will eventually start shading everything below which would sap it of light. Nutrient-wise, you probably will want to supplement with a fertilizer anyways. Might need to add that a bit more often, but would need to check water parameters.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 10:08 AM, Zac said:

I find it helps my slow growers. Having a bit of shade without completely blocking light sort of protects my slow growers from algae and gives them a chance to really shine. 
Some slow growers of mine that benefited are Java ferns, anubias and newly planted crypts. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 10:17 AM, Guppysnail said:

I find it helps my slow growers. Having a bit of shade without completely blocking light sort of protects my slow growers from algae and gives them a chance to really shine. 
Some slow growers of mine that benefited are Java ferns, anubias and newly planted crypts. 

Do you plant it or float it? I’d like to plant mine if I get it. What’s a good way to trim it to keep it looking nice? Last time I had a stem plant it grew 2 new shoots every time I cut a stem and I’d like to limit that if possible. I know I can’t really control that thought. Does guppy grass do this when trimmed?

Edited by Zac
  • Like 1

You can plant it. It will grow singleton roots. You can pull it apart gently each stem from a pretty plant. Trim it from the top or bottom and replant. It is such an easy plant it requires no special maintenance skills. I have zero patience with any fussy plants so this one is a breeze. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really the Ron Popeil of the plant world. Just set it and forget it! Its one plant that is truly beginner friendly.

Pros: great for your eco system and raising fry or cleaning excess nutrients!

Cons: if you are looking for the esthetically pleasing aquascape,   with challenging plants to grow IMO, this ain't it.  A good comparison is, its comparable to the gangly looking teen with unruly hair and a bad complexion who just keeps growing and growing!!! 🤣

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would definitely (will definitely) have guppy grass in any future breeding set-ups as it does everything you need a plant to do for breeding and it does it on the cheap. I would rather have Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus or Brazilian Pennywort as floaters in a display tank. I just like the look better (my personal preference). But, I am not as high on planting into the substrate. I prefer my plants on rocks, wood and floating. 

• Like 2

My guppy grass has been like the giving tree for me; takes care of my tank no matter how I abuse it lol. One of the LFS’s gave it to me for free when I was new.  It floated a lot at first, then it rooted itself and took over and I would just pull handfuls out when it got too crazy. It didn’t mind. It kept the water nice and clean while I was learning and getting other plants established. I decided to get rid of it all one time so I pulled it all out but it was like “nah I still gotchu boo” and magically reappeared in a way that looks very nice in my tank now.  I actually wish I had more of it right now so I could put it in my quarantine tank and make my new fish more comfortable!