Betta Fish With Cherry Shrimp

OfficialThomas

Hi!

I have an aquarium with 1 betta fish, some neon tetras, and some guppies. They all seem to get along well. I am wondering if I could add some cherry shrimp (6-10 shrimp for my 20 gallon tank). I don't need the shrimp to breed because I know the baby shrimp will get eaten. 

I also have quite a few live plants.

Thanks!

Edited by OfficialThomas

The quick answer is yes you can. Betta are all very individual animals- each as if they are their own fish species. One that gets along with everyone could be one that harasses and/or eats a shrimp population OR doesn't even care. You have to be ok to try it and see. As you said babies could likely be eaten but given enough hiding spaces that fish can't get to, you never know! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried green jellys on lighter substrate and blackroses on a darker substrate and have %100 success so far (to my knowledge) even with my aggressive bettas (Ive tried 6 bettas with these setups) I believe full black shrimp on a black substrate is less attractive compared to a flashy orange or red one.

that being said you never know as @xXInkedPhoenixX mentioned. Provide hiding spots as much as you can and try avoid flashy colors to increase the chance of success

challenge! find the shrimp ;D image.jpeg.075f5e03782671d86e9b0b145348fc88.jpegimage.jpeg.a1018e92af724be1fe3b33bbe8729a88.jpeg

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 8/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

The quick answer is yes you can. Betta are all very individual animals- each as if they are their own fish species. One that gets along with everyone could be one that harasses and/or eats a shrimp population OR doesn't even care. You have to be ok to try it and see. As you said babies could likely be eaten but given enough hiding spaces that fish can't get to, you never know! 

Got it! Thank you!

• Like 1