Hygger 24/7 Light Setting... Any Problem With Algae?

It has been suggested that I look into the Hygger 24/7 submersible light which I have. I appreciate those who referred me to this lighting option. The dawn-to-dusk feature is really appealing and would avoid the need of several separate lights and multiple timers.

But, I do have a question. The 24/7 sequence runs from from 6am-nearly 11pm according to product descriptions... and is apparently not adjustable? This seems like a really long time (yeah, I know it is mimicking sunrise-sunset... I get it) but has anyone using this setting been having any algae issues from the simulated day length?

I would buy this light with the intention of using the 24/7 sequence, but would be disappointed if I then couldn't because it grows algae too easily. Issue or non-issue? Thanks.

Edited by JChristophersAdventures

Non-issue if the light also has a DIY mode like my non-submersible Hygger does.  The one I have has up to 6 or 7 periods you can program. My light kicks on at 20% intensity for the first 20 min of the day.  It actually ramps up to the 20% so it starts even dimmer.  Then I kick over to 80% for what I like for most of the day.  You can make the periods as long or intense as you would like.

I think you could deal with the standard setting without much algae but I like to run my lights a lot and have faster growing plants and have some good algae eaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the 978 non-submersible.  24/7 mode will grow algae if you don't have enough plants in your tank. If you only have a few plants, the algae can outcompete. The light also has timers of 6, 10 & 12 hours.  You can go to one of those timed settings if you need reduced light duration.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did/do have issues with the Hygger 24/7 and believe it just runs for too long- though really lovely honestly- however I can think of very few situations where having this light on for so long wouldn't cause issues. The tank I run mine on is shallow and long- so this could easily cause a problem. I got rid of the version that sits right over the lid and got 2 bracket/rim lights from Hygger which sit up above higher. I tried the 24/7 on those too but have decided using the timer instead is better and cause less problems. I have the same rim light on a 7 gallon cube- also put on a timer function not the 24/7 mode. Bummer because on timer mode it ramps up and down but not in the same way as the dawn to dusk mode. 

For what it's worth they are still cool lights.

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Looks great! I will likely go with 4 shorter lights, rather than 2 longer ones to make sure I have ample surface coverage over the entire tank (I've seen too many people with plant die off problems do to poor light coverage. I am going with 2 HOBs... one on either end facing in, rather than on the back facing forward... that is where the space/clearance is (due to it being a piano) and it should make for an interesting set-up and aquascape (I am doing 2 custom lids from clear coroplast to fit tightly around the filters and in between the center brace). The shorter lights will be attached to the underneath side of the piano lid so as to shine down between the HOBs and the center brace... this will make sure they are automatically out of the way when I feed, service the filters or gravel vac. Thanks.