Stocking options ?

Nacskins

Please excuse the lack of clarity as a major water change and re-scape was just done. 55 Gallon and looking for stocking ideas. Currently have 2 adult full size angels, 1 super red BN, 4 corries, 1 Nerite. Thinking likely just a few more corries, 2-4 platties and 2-4 mollies.  Maybe a few ottos? Also would like to keep it minimal with scaping and wondering if I need to add easy green with just these Anubis’s? Might add some Val?  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. IMG_7583.jpeg.73c1a898e05cbb9b9d61fbc99d950e4d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:01 AM, Nacskins said:

Thinking likely just a few more corries, 2-4 platties and 2-4 mollies.  Maybe a few ottos?

That should work. I really like german blue rams with angelfish since they both like warmer water. 

wondering if I need to add easy green with just these Anubis’s?

You might be able to get away without easy green, but I would dose some anyways to improve your chance of success. 

• Like 1

I would increase the cory school to at least 10. 

then add a school of mid level swimmers. I would personally go for congo tetras here. Big in size so cant be snack to angels and they look great.

Lastly I would add something like a trio of SAE or a single RTBS/rainbow shark.

I would also try to shade anubias more, they seem to grow some sort of algae and I faced this issue on my anubias when I removed floating plants above them.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

You certainly have the space to stock what you are asking about and more. I might be a bit careful with adding mollies and platies to an aquarium full of soft water fish. Anubias are generally fine short-term without fertilization in an aquarium with a decent fish load. If the leaves start to go light, discolor, or show other signs of stress, you probably need to fertilize a little (there seems to be a little yellowing on some of the leaves). I would fertilize lightly, though, as without CO2 (and sometimes with) anubias grow algae on leaves really easily because of their slow growth rate not outcompeting algae. Ideally, most anubias are fairly shaded/low light unless you have CO2/ferts and out of really strong flow, which many say can lead to BBA.

A recent episode of Jeff Senske's (one of the pioneers of aquascaping in the US and co-owner of Aquarium Design Group in Houston) podcast is really interesting re: anubias. He interviews Thomas Minesi a nature photographer and aquarist living in the DRC (Congo) and a lot of their discussion is about how anubias grows in nature. There are some really interesting insights, such as it almost always being paired with moss covering its root, rhizomes frequently being buried (which we are told will always lead to rot) and many other things. 

• Like 1

Currently have 2 adult full size angels, 1 super red BN, 4 corries, 1 Nerite. Thinking likely just a few more corries, 2-4 platties and 2-4 mollies.

For the corydoras, depending on which ones you have, you can easily get them up to about 12 or so.  This gives you a bit of wiggle room in the case that you lose any during acclimation.  Once you get to a larger group size you should see a bit different behavior from the group.  Once mine hit the 12-15 range they were much more outgoing and natural in their behavior.  You will get eggs and have some fry, which is often part of the admiration for corydoras.  If you want a very minimal group, I would try to keep at least 8 in there.

As for species, I would think something like emperor tetra would do well.  Smaller fish might become angel food, but bigger bodied tetras should do well with them.

If you aren't concerned with the livebearers reproducing or fin nipping I can't see any issues there either. 

Also would like to keep it minimal with scaping and wondering if I need to add easy green with just these Anubis’s? Might add some Val?

You would want to use some yes.  Depending on your nitrate levels you can dial things in.  Anubias is pretty forgiving as a plant.  The goal being to not have too much light or too many nutrients due to anubias being pretty low demand.  Val would be a great plant!  Check out micro sword as well.