Can I keep a blood parrot with platy fry?

Sora

I have three platy fry in my 55 gal, their about an inch long. I am planning on putting a blood parrot in there, probably a small one (pet store size). From what I know you have to feed blood parrots carefully because of their strange mouths. So I’m thinking that the fry will not become a snack, and they will grow with said blood parrot. But I’m not expert so I thought I would be safe and ask. Thanks!

I had 3 when I was a kid and theyve eaten my kuhli loaches like a snack even when they were juveniles in front of my eyes. It was traumatic. That "weird mouth" can eat a lot.

also they are weird looking because they are human made hybrids. They have various anatomical deformities and that's why their mouth seem like that. I would personally never own them again after witnessing the issues they have sadly. I personally don't think it is ethical to breed them when they obviously come with so many issues. They can't even move their mouth. A male and female can't even breed. Please think twice and do a wide research about their problems and issues they come with before deciding to go for them.

The fry will very likely be a snack. Probably adults would be a snack too.

Please see this for some other people's experiences

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/are-blood-parrots-ethical-to-own-344817.html

On 7/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, Lennie said:

I had 3 when I was a kid and theyve eaten my kuhli loaches like a snack even when they were juveniles in front of my eyes. It was traumatic. That "weird mouth" can eat a lot.

also they are weird looking because they are human made hybrids. They have various anatomical deformities and that's why their mouth seem like that. I would personally never own them again after witnessing the issues they have sadly. I personally don't think it is ethical to breed them when they obviously come with so many issues. They can't even move their mouth. A male and female can't even breed. Please think twice and do a wide research about their problems and issues they come with before deciding to go for them.

The fry will very likely be a snack. Probably adults would be a snack too.

Please see this for some other people's experiences

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/are-blood-parrots-ethical-to-own-344817.html

I am aware they are hybrids and may have problems, but they are a widely popular fish and I would do more good rescuing one and giving it a good home than refusing to buy One. Blood parrots are very similar to fancy goldfish, who are very susceptible to despise and bad swimming problems, but it’s less common to find someone against breeding fancy goldfish. 

@Lennie I never understood the problem people have with hybrids or man made fish. If I don’t like it, I don’t keep it. I’ve kept Flowerhorns for quite a while and I know you either love them or hate them, but it would never prevent me from keeping what I enjoy. Matter of fact, my current is my favorite fish in the house by far. Truth is, I share the same level of frustration that you do, but mine is with bettas. I don’t like them at all, but would never tell someone not to keep them. Seems silly. 

• Like 2

I love my blood parrot. His name is blimpy. He is a very active healthy fish. Personable, wiggly, and dopy looking. He has a huge personality. He has no issues eating whatever I put in the tank. He will eat blood worms, pellets, flakes. They would eat a baby platy if it fit in Their mouth which would be no issue for my adult blood parrot. Not sure on a juvenile. 

On 7/30/2023 at 5:50 AM, Sora said:

I have three platy fry in my 55 gal, their about an inch long. I am planning on putting a blood parrot in there, probably a small one (pet store size). From what I know you have to feed blood parrots carefully because of their strange mouths. So I’m thinking that the fry will not become a snack, and they will grow with said blood parrot. But I’m not expert so I thought I would be safe and ask. Thanks!

I don't know much about cichlids but I would say keep them with the blood parrot at your own risk. If you see any aggression between the two, you should remove the platies or should reconsider getting an another fish. Hope this helps!

• Like 1