Question about dropsy

Henry the fish keeper

On 7/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Two of my platies recently died from dropsy. I wanted to ask you guys, what can you do to cure dropsy? And what can you do to prevent it in the future?

The first thing to do is eliminate possible stress factors from the tank. Make sure water parameters are stable and safe, feed them a balanced diet, and make sure they’re happy and disease free. 

Dropsy is hard to cure. It’s essentially guild buildup in your fish because its organs are failing. Your best bet is to quarantine the fish. You can add salt to the tank to persuade that extra fluid to leave the fish. You can also feed deshelled peas that act as a laxative or just feed very lightly. You can also use antibiotics if you suspect a bacterial infection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I do is treat with a combination I of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon added directly to the tank or Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days to reduce fluid buildup dose the tank with kanaplex it's a good antibiotic treatment for internal bacterial infections and kidney infection that can cause some of of the symptoms associated with dropsy and do a course of metroplex in food feeding a small twice a day for upto 3 weeks as it treats aeromonas that can cause some of the symptoms associated with dropsy it's is  difficult to treat with out noing the cause that why I Go for a methodical approach and treat the most likely causes it can be caused by  kidney infection  internal parasites can cause pineconing internal bacterial infections organ failure  good quality food good stayble water parameters low stress environment will lesson your  chances of fish getting dropsy 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 2