Kuhli Loaches for clean up crew?

Louise02

We have a very docile female betta fish.  She is not as picky as others that we have had, but, on occasion, she still misses some of her food.  I want to keep a cleaner tank.   Are kuhli loaches a good option?  She has a friend- a Mystery Snail, and there are a few nerites in her tank.  I just don't see them eating blood worms and betta pellets.  If you have a better idea, I am open to hear them.  I would like to order something and get it settled in before winter!  TIA!

BTW, she is tolerating young guppies.  Would a couple female guppies be enough of a clean up crew?

Sorry- this is a 10 gallon.

How big is your aquarium? Is it planted?

Kuhli loaches are bottom feeders but  mine are not a good clean up crew.  Ramshorn snails are much better. They will quickly eat almost anything. Their down side is that they rapidly multiply and their numbers can quickly get out of controll especially if you are over feeding.

When you do water changes do you vacumm your gravel?

On 7/25/2023 at 10:19 PM, Louise02 said:

Sorry- this is a 10 gallon.

oops sorry I just realized you already said.

This will be a planted tank.  Right now we are preparing to set up a "new" aquarium.  Most of the plants that I will use are in my nursery aquarium.  It could be another six-10 week before I more the betta in to the new set up.

Depending on the size of your tanks for smaller tanks under 10 gallons snails or shrimps  are what I would use for bigger tanks  Otto's Bristlenose kuhli loach they would all still new regular feed just relying on a fish to eat uneaten food they won't get enough food  it's a balancing act more fish to clean up equals more waste I think Ramshorn snails work be your best option  and there population will self regulate over time with amount of food your feeding your Betta @Louise02

A few big amano shrimps would be my first choice. A combo of ramshorns and assassins might also work, eg add a few ramshorns, they'll quickly become hundreds, then add 1-2 assassins and they'll strike a balance. 

Personally, I wouldn't put kuhlis in a 10 gallon but I know it's done. 

Another option would be a group of salt and pepper cories (C. habrosus). They're fine in a 10. 

I would also point out, as evidenced by the varied responses here, there is no single answer to your question. There are many scenarios that will work. 🙂

• Like 1