12 gallon planted tank question about new fish

gdachev

This is my first tank and it is a 12 gallon. Right now it has 6 ember tetras and 6 pygmy corydoras. All parameters are in check and plants are growing. I want to add a third species of fish to the tank but don’t know what way to go. I have tried adding a betta but he would constantly chase the other fish around so I gifted him. I would also avoid a gourami for the same reason as I am scared for my fish. So my question is what other fish can I put in the tank. Right now I am thinking of either 3 guppies or 1-3 mollies as my only options. Any advice is welcomed.

360085634_1233052217404225_7938942949393973207_n.jpg

I would instead add 4 ember tetras and 6 pygmy corydoras 🙂 6 is the barest minimum for any shoaling species, and given they are present in thousands in nature, saying "six will do" is cruel. Not like 10 is better but it is slightly at least

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:57 PM, gdachev said:

Could clown killis work?

If you are willing to add a bit more floating plants, it can be nicer. Would help block sights and make them feel comfier. they mostly spend their time on top, and males can be a lil territorial in my experience. You can keep 1m:3f there too I believe, but be careful, they are crazy jumpers. I thought one of my females died, and I found her jumped to the HOB filter basket couple days later when I was cleaning the filter...

On 7/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, gdachev said:

I would also avoid a gourami for the same reason as I am scared for my fish.

Not all gouramis are aggressive. In fact, even my gold gouramis are quite peaceful, and they have a reputation of being aggressive. In that tank size, I think sparkling gouramis are great but they are hard to sex. Males get territorial, so maybe 1m:2f if you believe you can sex them can be cool. IF you end up with 2 males, it can be problematic there due to the small size of the tank. They are very cool fish with interesting behavior and croaking. 

Here is one of mine:

image.png.649f928f2146f265459095b07b6d908b.png

They are not aggressive or anything versus other fish. Honey gouramis are also very peaceful but I personally don't think they would be a great centerpiece fish for that tank size, in my experience they are very active fish and can utilise all swimming space provided in medium to big size tanks

• Like 1
  • Love 1

They are so small, I would also add a few more Embers.  Cherry Barbs are peaceful and would add a pop of color.   Bloodfin, Serpae or almost any tetra should work.  They also are best kept in groups.  Whatever you decide,  I would not be concerned with adding 6 Embers at the same time, but I like to add the others in groups of three.  In addition to allowing the aquarium to adjust for the bioload, I believe that the newest fish will join their tankmates immediately, and the whole group won't go into hiding.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I decided to go with the killifish as I saw them in my LFS. They are great. Got only 4 though, will get 2 more as soon as I can + some more floating plants (only got 4 right now). I would say I am 100% stocked right now, so no space for the gourami, even though I liked the idea. 

363027314_570559288611301_3019725913650458688_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, gdachev said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I decided to go with the killifish as I saw them in my LFS. They are great. Got only 4 though, will get 2 more as soon as I can + some more floating plants (only got 4 right now). I would say I am 100% stocked right now, so no space for the gourami, even though I liked the idea. 

363027314_570559288611301_3019725913650458688_n.jpg

I think you might be just fine with 4. whats your m:f ratio? If it is something like 1m:3f, I would keep them as they are. If more than 1m, than adding a few more females might be a good idea

(their tail structure is the easiest way to tell the gender I think)

Care Guide for Clown Killifish – Colorful, Top-Dwelling Nano ...

image.png.5fc2a4ee9607f35830a8cbbce82812f3.png

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 9:15 PM, Lennie said:

I think you might be just fine with 4. whats your m:f ratio? If it is something like 1m:3f, I would keep them as they are. If more than 1m, than adding a few more females might be a good idea

(their tail structure is the easiest way to tell the gender I think)

Care Guide for Clown Killifish – Colorful, Top-Dwelling Nano ...

image.png.5fc2a4ee9607f35830a8cbbce82812f3.png

Well they are still juvenile so tail is not that evident. However to my eye looking at their behaviour it seems like I got 2 boys and 2 girls as 2 of them seem to pick one of the others and chase them around a bit, also these 2 are a bit more active. Will you suggest getting one extra female in this situation?