Ich Help

Zac

Hey all,

I’ve been dealing with ich in my tank for about a week or more. I’ve dosed 6-7 times with ich X and there’s still ich. The majority of the fish are active and eating fine. The only symptom I see is flashing once in a while and that’s only some of the fish. A couple of them are skinny. The vast majority seem fine other than some white spots. I know it’s not epistylis because there’s no spots on the eyes. You can see the ich on the fish in the back of the photo.

On either Saturday or Sunday, I finished a third treatment in a row with ich X. I decided to let it sit in the tank for a few days and see if that would help (I have a small bacterial bloom and doing water changes every day made it worse). I just dosed ich X again today and raised the temperature to 80°. I didn’t do a water change before hand. I’m running out of meds though because the tank is a 29 gallon. My water parameters are stable. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-30ppm nitrates. I don’t want to add salt since I have plants. I don’t believe dosing extra ich X without a water change will harm the plants or my fish.

What advice do you guys have? 

IMG_4236.jpeg.bbc67768f9f0e11410f7051f9de2c7a8.jpeg

I would just keep going with daily water changes and redose the ick X I would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons as Ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes at that level it won't harm your plants alot of plants can tolerate 1 table spoon for 5 gallons of aquarium salt I wouldn't go above that with plants @Zac

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, Colu said:

I would just keep going with daily water changes and redose the ick X I would add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons as Ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes at that level it won't harm your plants alot of plants can tolerate 1 table spoon for 5 gallons of aquarium salt I wouldn't go above that with plants @Zac

I’m assuming I’d have to replace the salt after every water change correct? So if I do a 25% water change I’d ad a quarter of the salt back right? Will the salt damage my valisneria since it’s a more sensitive plant?

On 7/19/2023 at 12:27 AM, Zac said:

I’m assuming I’d have to replace the salt after every water change correct? So if I do a 25% water change I’d ad a quarter of the salt back right? Will the salt damage my valisneria since it’s a more sensitive plant?

Yes if you do a 10 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back in I have used salt upto 1 table spoon for 5 gallons without any issues with my vall