Solo honey gourami or a trio in 20 long community tank

On 9/22/2023 at 11:16 PM, BlackCrappieLover said:

Hello everyone! The thrilling conclusion to my honey gourami hunt!

LFS called me yesterday to say they got in some honeys! So, made a day of it with my fiancée and drove down to get a fish (just one, I decided.)

I'm pretty sure they're male, based on that spikey little dorsal fin. But they're the cutest shade of pale yellow and orange with a shimmery belly. I've had them in quarantine for a couple hours now and they've colored up and are swimming good.20230922_160735.jpg.613f78e67c5b2342cfb7c9a87c38272c.jpg20230922_160810.jpg.4a2c468588ccb8ec526a6c933921fb41.jpg

The new addition. Not naming them until they're cleared from quarantine, feel free to drop suggestions!

spiky fin is not a sign of gender on honeys. I chose mine based on that assumption before and nailed sexing correctly but obviously it was just pure luck. you can look for colors, plump belly, blackened male during breeding dress, etc.

Yours look more of a female than male if you ask me based on the colors I see

F on left, m on right:

Honey Gourami and Red Honey Gourami | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 5:22 PM, Lennie said:

spiky fin is not a sign of gender on honeys. I chose mine based on that assumption before and nailed sexing correctly but obviously it was just pure luck. you can look for colors, plump belly, blackened male during breeding dress, etc.

Gotcha! I read the IDing thread last month and thought I remembered fin shape being important. I don't care about what sex they are either way, I'm just happy to finally get a honey! 🥰

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@BlackCrappieLover Congratulations! Good looking Honey... and, yes it may be a female, but it has nice color as females go, plus it is always a lot easier to find males than females... some stores only sell males and never order anything but. You might want to consider a male companion... honeys are about as peaceful as fish get. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 12:30 AM, BlackCrappieLover said:

Gotcha! I read the IDing thread last month and thought I remembered fin shape being important. I don't care about what sex they are either way, I'm just happy to finally get a honey! 🥰

Yes. Amazing fish overall, I love mine a lot. I am actually looking for females for a breeding project but can't find any

• Like 2