Bristlenose Plecos

Leo2o915

I have two bristlenose plecos one has long bristles which I know it’s a male and have another one with short bristles which I think it’s a female well that’s what my local pet store told me they got me a pair. Right now have them in my 125 gallon african Cichlid tank with a lot of cover and caves for them to go in I want them to breed so can add the babies to my planted 20 long aquarium and have them grow and then hopefully within a month get them a 40 breeder  and and start another planted tank. My question is I can’t get them to breed was wondering if I add them to my 10 gallon hospital/ QT tank and add one cave that would help them breed ? Any advice is appreciated 

2 hours ago, gcalberto said:

As long as you are sure it's a male and female, they should breed with time. No need to do anything, as far as I know. 

It is better, however, to keep them in a separate tank by themselves with a cave of an appropriate size.

What’s a way to be sure if they male or female besides bristles? I was told long bristles on the nose is male 

6098EFBE-6A94-451F-89A4-1A281A4DAA01.png

59249107-FA0E-4912-9501-FB2669D1B75B.png

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yeah you should not have to do more than provide a couple of cave options.  If after a while they don't hookup try re-positioning one of the caves a little bit.

Ok thanks right now have the caves in two separate parts of the tank 

I generally go with 3 caves minimum, 2 near each other and 1 away.  Also different size caves.  I have 3 of the watering spikes and that large "pleco cave" in this tank.  A male has more or less claimed the spike on the right.  It is at a slight downhill (towards the opening) angle.

IMG_4645.JPG.415c7c92431059f090ab4ef4a73a688f.JPG