Missing Nerite snail found but not showing "much" life

Yambino

Hi all

I have a 50 liter aquarium and at the start of the year, after spending much of January removing everything and cleaning it up. I established a heated aquarium for the first time and then slowly introduced fish and snails to the aquarium

The first two snailed died under mysterious circumstances and I put it down to

A: Adding an incorrect dose of fertilizer to the aquarium and

B: A water change that may have altered the PH level to below 7.5.

After losing the first 2 snails I bought, I then bought 2 snail replacements roughly in March and both seemed to do well until 1 simply vanished. For months I could not find it. Until Sunday 09th July when I did another water change. I found the snail stuck between the 2 suction cups on the water heater. For months I searched for it, moving the filter, rocks and sifting through the plants and I gave up assuming that it somehow got out of the aquarium and was eaten by the dog.

So now that I have found it. The mysterious long lost snail, by this point I thought it was dead so I smelled it, nope no smell at all, completely odorless. So I placed it at the front of the aquarium on the substrate and watched, IT MOVED. My mind was blown, but something didn't look right. The snail barely moved but not by much and on one occasion part of the snail extended out of the shell this didn't look like the normal part of a snail to stick out I couldn't describe which part of it extended out to be honest.

My assumption is that this snail is barely hanging on to life, but I still have hopes it actually A: Is still alive since I didn't see it move for a few hrs at least and B: It can be nursed back to health if it is still alive.

I am uncertain about how to nurse the snail, if it is possible to do so and would kindly ask the community to offer their advice.

My parameters typically are around as follows:

PH levels: 7.2 - 7.6
High range: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 - 20 PPM
Temperature: 80.6F / 27C

I presume I need a separate aquarium or container, matching water PH and temp?

I’m sorry for your troubles. If it was really stuck between the suction cups and not just hanging out there it’s possible it is starved. Try placing it directly on a small slice of zucchini or a green bean. There really is not much in the way of treatment for snails. Nerites need the biofilm as food so separating it to an unseasoned space is not advisable. 
I hope your friend recovers. Snails do go through sleep phases where they sleep for several days. 

On 7/11/2023 at 12:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m sorry for your troubles. If it was really stuck between the suction cups and not just hanging out there it’s possible it is starved. Try placing it directly on a small slice of zucchini or a green bean. There really is not much in the way of treatment for snails. Nerites need the biofilm as food so separating it to an unseasoned space is not advisable. 
I hope your friend recovers. Snails do go through sleep phases where they sleep for several days. 

Thanks Guppysnail. I will give this a try and see.