Guppy failed birth?

Lennie

Today, in the afternoon feeding session in the fish room, I’ve noticed many babies in the pingus tank. There were all expected to give birth around the same time, so while checking in for the babies I saw this female with I guess intestines out? Somehow failed giving the birth? What’s wrong?

Currently I separated her to a container and added some salt.

Activity level is just as it should be, shes active, swimming around and eating well.

I took a pic of her before I out her to the container. She’s alive

A9C933B2-83E2-4005-9B19-DC062536854A.jpeg.5877affc342533e276d50319037558eb.jpeg7E1FD829-D80D-4F1C-B836-30F46AA46F8F.jpeg.ea5db94a0f2f68018ca520d0db24c0f7.jpeg74F56B46-8747-4E24-BABD-981E9373D0CF.jpeg.5e57ae95d5d2d1842815624e1cd18f1a.jpeg

Could you guys please check when you have time? @Colu @Odd Duck

OKAY…

While I am testing the parameters she gave a birth in the cup it seems. I went to check a test strip and came back saw 8 babies.she keeps giving birth.

I hope she is not in such pain. Im so sad right now.

Please tell me what can I do

Edited by Lennie
  • Confused 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:33 PM, Odd Duck said:

As long as she’s producing babies just keep watching.  You may need to do some Epsom salt soaks to help shrink the protruding tissue after she’s delivered.

Thanks Duck,

yes she keeps delivering. I can count 20 now. I will keep an eye on her

• Like 2

Update time! @Odd Duck

she stopped after 20 babies. I removed the babies and kept her in the container with some aquarium salt mixed in overnight. She was all fine this morning, so no epsom salt needed.

here is pic of her from this morning. Her friend came to ask how is she doing:39A3EA43-4F4F-4E68-8BDE-9DFC95D5B02A.jpeg.165abb5366cda9197c58edfcba25076f.jpeg

she looks a bit paler but probably stress, and calming down will help her to gain her color back.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

She should do just fine now.  She may always have difficulty delivering.  If she has trouble again next time, I would pull her out of your breeding group.  That’s a trait she could potentially pass on to her offspring.  Keep her babies separate until you know if she’s going to have issues delivering again.  If she does, her babies should not be part of your breeding group, either.  If she doesn’t have trouble delivering again, it may have been a fluke.  Just watch close each time she’s gravid.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

She should do just fine now.  She may always have difficulty delivering.  If she has trouble again next time, I would pull her out of your breeding group.  That’s a trait she could potentially pass on to her offspring.  Keep her babies separate until you know if she’s going to have issues delivering again.  If she does, her babies should not be part of your breeding group, either.  If she doesn’t have trouble delivering again, it may have been a fluke.  Just watch close each time she’s gravid.

Thank you for pointing it out. I have never thought of this. I will surely keep an eye on her

• Like 1