Is my aquarium cycled??

NickD

On 7/8/2023 at 4:00 AM, NickD said:

@nabokovfan87ok so I added in the substrate and filled the tank with water, should I wait a couple days to drain and add plants?

I've just seen this question

Well, I always plant from the start, I find it hard to plant on aquasoil after it stays in the water, kinda gets mushy.

So I personally plant directly to the aquasoil and then fill the tank afterwards. For planting guide, this may help you a lot:

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 7:18 PM, NickD said:

@nabokovfan87i just added API QuickStart and I don’t have any ammonia source to add! Will it still do it thing?

No. 

Bacteria uses that as food.

Some will turn ammonia into nitrite. Then other bacterias will turn nitrite to nitrate. You need both of these bacterias. And both of them to establish a colony.

Introducing some bacteria spores with a bottled bacteria is not an instant cycling, it is a start of a fishless cycle. But it won't do anything really until you start feeding the tank some sort of ammonia. Idk why some of these packages mention you can directly add fish (see 5:35 in the video below) unless you wanna do a fish in cycle with is usually only an emergency situation thingy and mostly avoided in the modern time fishkeeping.

I think you need to do more reading/watching Nick. You seem unfamiliar with the cycling concept. Please watch this video:

I think it will help your understand better

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, NickD said:

@nabokovfan87i just added API QuickStart and I don’t have any ammonia source to add! Will it still do it thing?

You can add fish food as an ammonia source.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:27 AM, NickD said:

Thank you for the video but the thing is is that many questions arise while watching these, that’s why I come here to ask🙂

That's awesome though, watch it! Wonderful video.... ask many questions. 🙂