Growth / worms coming out of head? (green sunfish)

xerf9

What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc temperature have you added anything new to the tank recently any rapid breathing listlessness hanging near the surface flashing spitting food out weight loss lack of appetite @xerf9

Test results are 0, 0, 0.  The tank is around 73-78 Degrees F.  This one has been flashing for a couple weeks now.  There are 3 others that have no symptoms.  They are all voracious eaters 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:57 AM, xerf9 said:

Test results are 0, 0, 0.  The tank is around 73-78 Degrees F.  This one has been flashing for a couple weeks now.  There are 3 others that have no symptoms.  They are all voracious eaters 

It could be the start of hole in the head even with the slightly raised spots what I would do is a course of metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

Thanks!  I will look into HITH.  These came from a pond where the craws have white worms coming out of their joints, so I thought some kind of worm but I can't find anything quite like this on the internet.  I've noticed the white parts are extending from the hole sometimes, and sometimes they are not so it's either a worm or pus.  Super gross lol.  I bought some praziquantel but I'm reading it does not work for roundworms and the like?  I will do more reading on HITH

On 7/2/2023 at 7:41 AM, xerf9 said:

These came from a pond where the craws have white worms coming out of their joints,

If I remember correctly these worms have a symbiotic relationship with crayfish and don't infect fish someone correct me if am wrong if it's hole in the head you want to treat with metronidazole in food that why I recommended metroplex as these fish came from a pond what I  would do it is treat with metroplex in food and treat the tank with praziquantel 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

depending on the number of tanks you have, you might want to consider a potassium permanganate treatment. you need to be careful, it dangerous and will kill if overdosed. but it is very very effective for many external problems. it is also a good treatment for general sterilization in large systems and ponds. there are several sources for use on the web. whattley discus has a video to show their process and there are several pond treatments available. but use with care. this will take care of hole in the head and many many other parasitic and bacterial ailments. sometimes fungal also but that can be hit and miss.

Thanks rjv23 do you have a recommended dosage?  Also is it safe for fry?

On 7/2/2023 at 6:09 AM, Colu said:

If I remember correctly these worms have a symbiotic relationship with crayfish and don't infect fish someone correct me if am wrong if it's hole in the head you want to treat with metronidazole in food that why I recommended metroplex as these fish came from a pond what I  would do it is treat with metroplex in food and treat the tank with praziquantel 

Thanks Colu that's what I did.  My fish are getting better color is back