Amano shrimp escaped today.

Galabar

I would push the lid back to where it just barely covers the black lip on the front side. That’s how I have my lids. Should help close up the gap in the back. 

I have both glass and polycarbonate lids, and while the glass lids are nice, one big pro to diy lids is that you can make them exactly as you want and don’t have gaps. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:14 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I would push the lid back to where it just barely covers the black lip on the front side. That’s how I have my lids. Should help close up the gap in the back. 

I have both glass and polycarbonate lids, and while the glass lids are nice, one big pro to diy lids is that you can make them exactly as you want and don’t have gaps. 

Unfortunately, even with a gap in the front, pushing it back still gives plenty of room for something to escape. Aqueon!!!!! 🤪

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

Edited by Galabar

Right, but if you don’t push it all the way back, or pull it all the way to the front, you can definitely close up the gap more. IMG_4158.jpeg.519c749263f7dcf7939f439f6cc10559.jpeg

Front of the tank, lid just barely over the black lip.IMG_4159.jpeg.b64afd507ffe4c482f628dc6dffbcb73.jpeg

Back of the tank

Or maybe your lid is just that far off front to back 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

Which tank is that (and what top)?  For mine (29 Aqueon), I have a gap in both the front and back (as seen in the two pictures above).  On my 40 breeder, there is no gap (both Aqueon tank and top).

Edited by Galabar

I wonder if the Aqueon 20 and 29 are the same length and width? It might be that the Aqueon 30" x 12" top fits better on the 20?

In any event, I think Aqueon needs to figure out why their tops don't fit their tanks... 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:56 PM, Galabar said:

You'd think that an Aqueon hood would fit an Aqueon tank...

They modified the design.  I called them, they said that is normal.  Please feel free to call, if not I can send you the email.  Changes were made to "allow for compatibility with filtration".  I assume something like a HoB caused the issue.  All my HOB have way too much room and they didn't really understand.  They said it's "been like this for a while" and they know it's an issue but they don't (engineering) have the ability to fix it because.... reasons.

These are some of the photos I sent them.  I've modified one of my lids to fit properly with the longer trim piece.  Aqueon did offer to sent that to me.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, Galabar said:

Which tank is that (and what top)?  For mine (29 Aqueon), I have a gap in both the front and back (as seen in the two pictures above).  On my 40 breeder, there is no gap (both Aqueon tank and top).

20L = 29G = 37G in terms of lids.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1