best live bbs alternative?

CT_

Hey all.  Life's been pretty busy but I recently got a bunch of rice fish eggs (now tiny fry) and want to get them sized up quickly so i can put them in my pond with the other fish.  Anyone had good results with frozen or freeze dried bbs?  any other alternatives that work well?

Sera Micron nature usually works great for me for my guppy and endler dry. For more carnivore fish, based on the size: live bbs, and now recently cultured microworms and vinegar eels. I think frozen would work good as long as the fry are good size to eat them, and they are not seeking for live food action like baby bettas. I personally struggle feeding freeze dried food even to my adult fish.

Sera Micron nature has %51 spirulina and %18 krill and some brine shrimp. I like it.

@nabokovfan87 has been researching about ricefish lately. Maybe he has come by any fry care articles.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 12:20 PM, CT_ said:

Anyone had good results with frozen or freeze dried bbs?  any other alternatives that work well?

A TON of people make BBS and then freeze it.  It's something I've seen a lot on the forum here as well.  Hikari does sell that product as well. 

One thing to keep in mind with fry is that you want to feed them small amounts multiple times a day.  3-4 times a day.  Keep the tank clean as you can, but overfeeding would lead to rotting food and a few other issues if not kept in check.

I would recommend using powdered repashy (soilent green or super green) or as Lennie mentioned, the sera micron food is good as well.

You can make your own powdered fry food with a spice grinder, the back of a spoon, or something else to crush it.  Whatever you're feeding the adults, you can just crush it up as fine as you can and try that.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2