Building my first aquarium stand for a future 55 gallon

Mr.K

I am building a 55 gallon aquarium and these are the supplies I will be using. Is the wood ok? I have the tools needed. Also which of the screws is better? I thought the stand would cost me like 100$ but it’s going to be a lot cheaper than expected :)! IMG_1628.jpeg.fc309840780dee64c63233ca6899d696.jpegIMG_1629.jpeg.f6f39958e5db954bae5c91f57e836b01.jpegIMG_1630.jpeg.930877c8e17f98d979856f64483a9e89.jpeg

You can certainly build a good stand with 2x4's and screws (though I would highly recommend using the Torx drive screws instead of Phillips).  I'm much more concerned about the design of the stand.

For example, assuming you will have a 2x4 rim all the way around, it needs to be directly supported all the way to the floor with other boards.  If you just screw the rim to the legs the screws will likely shear off and you will have a big mess on your hands.  It will also need to be braced so that it doesn't collapse diagonally when you put weight on it.

If you're an experienced carpenter and know all this already I apologize, but if that was the case I doubt you'd be asking for opinions on materials.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

You can certainly build a good stand with 2x4's and screws (though I would highly recommend using the Torx drive screws instead of Phillips).  I'm much more concerned about the design of the stand.

For example, assuming you will have a 2x4 rim all the way around, it needs to be directly supported all the way to the floor with other boards.  If you just screw the rim to the legs the screws will likely shear off and you will have a big mess on your hands.  It will also need to be braced so that it doesn't collapse diagonally when you put weight on it.

If you're an experienced carpenter and know all this already I apologize, but if that was the case I doubt you'd be asking for opinions on materials.

Thanks for the advice on the screws! I am a complete noob and know literally nothing about carpentry. I have been trying to find videos on my own but they are all for 75 gallon tanks or they were build so there was a 55 on top and a 55 could go on below. I just need it so it can hold a 55 gallon on top safely and effectively. 

Glue and screw for all the joints. 

Beware, those perfectly straight 2x4 pull from a tightly pack pallet may warp quickly once home. That happened to me, one of the top 2x4 warped after I glued and screwed them together. I started over using plywood but I have a nicely equipped shop to cut the plywood.

8 hours ago, Mr.K said:

Thanks for the advice on the screws! I am a complete noob and know literally nothing about carpentry. I have been trying to find videos on my own but they are all for 75 gallon tanks or they were build so there was a 55 on top and a 55 could go on below. I just need it so it can hold a 55 gallon on top safely and effectively. 

lets cover some basics. the most important tool when building something is a piece of paper, and a pencil. draw everything out, with dimensions before cutting any wood. this will save on the use of a lot of 4 letter words later on. also measure twice, cut once. this will also save on the use of fancy expletives.

6 hours ago, Mr.K said:

@lefty o what about these one? Are they good? IMG_1632.jpeg.ed1e095f3a18a2b1befbdf7257776041.jpeg

those should work. deck screws are made to take a load, and are therefore strong. unlike a drywall screw which tend to be brittle as they just need to hold sheetrock to a stud.

On 6/23/2023 at 4:40 PM, Mr.K said:

@lefty o what about these one? Are they good? IMG_1632.jpeg.ed1e095f3a18a2b1befbdf7257776041.jpeg

Those screws are better, but I would still only use them to hold the 2x4's together, and not depend on them to support the weight of the tank.

Here is what I mean.  This won't work, I don't care what kind of screws you use.

image.png.e143a1de79275cf1c9fa4c2e26e2562d.png

This, on the other hand, will be much stronger, since the weight is carried by the lumber all the way to the floor.

image.png.b111a5cbba34157b3e24daa9512f68f5.png

Even with the legs strengthened, I'd recommend adding plywood to the back and ends to make sure the whole thing doesn't fold up like an accordion.  Adding a piece on top wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Like 1