can't find 2 of 10 green neon tetras in tank

HelplessNewbie

On 6/30/2023 at 12:34 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Will it be safe to put our betta and snail in this tank, after the last one dies?

I would not put them in there for a couple weeks, to be absolutely sure any remaining bacteria/disease is gone. Otherwise you risk it spreading to the betta.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:10 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

Screenshot_20230623-140436.png

That ammonia reading looks a little suspicious to me (looks a little green).  Can you do it again along side a control test tube using tap (or distilled) water?

Here's my latest API ammonia test for comparison (might just be the lighting):

image.png.24b2d047eb1a2e534f6ebbf7716ffc33.png

Edited by Galabar

@Galabar

Here is ammonia, left to right: 10g (tetra tank), tap, quarantine tub (betta, snail)

And second photo is the rest for the 10g.

Can't help but worry about the PH.

"Terry", our lone ranger, is still swimming today!

@ColuKanaplex took forever to arrive, so only got that started today, along with Jungle Tabs. Fingers crossed.

Screenshot_20230701-194813.png

Screenshot_20230701-194844.png

Edited by HelplessNewbie

On 7/2/2023 at 12:58 AM, Galabar said:

I may be crazy, but the tube on the left looks yellow, whereas the other two look slightly green.  Does anyone else have opinions on the above?

HN, what do you think, seeing them in person?

I always find it difficult to tell the colour with the API ammonia test kit that why I use a Hannah instruments digital ammonia tester  sometimes mine looked like it had a slight green colour but my digital tester always tested zero for ammonia hopefully kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs does the trick @HelplessNewbie

Edited by Colu

On 7/2/2023 at 5:34 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

Middle is tap, left is the 10g. They all 3 looked yellow, but my eyes are not getting any younger...

@Colu, will look at Hannah instruments digital ammonia tester.

I ran it by my daughter (who doesn't know much about fish), and shee confirmed that she saw different colors.

It looks like the 10g has 0 ammonia, but your tap and the quarantine tub have some ammonia.  The 10g has probably been cycled and can process the ammonia that is being introduced by your tap water.  However, the quarantine tub hasn't and is reflecting the ammonia from the tap (and your fish). Just a thought.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, Galabar said:

I ran it by my daughter (who doesn't know much about fish), and shee confirmed that she saw different colors.

It looks like the 10g has 0 ammonia, but your tap and the quarantine tub have some ammonia.  The 10g has probably been cycled and can process the ammonia that is being introduced by your tap water.  However, the quarantine tub hasn't and is reflecting the ammonia from the tap (and your fish). Just a thought.

Interesting! I will repeat the test in a couple days. I think that I might have contaminated the samples, there were many distractions including a freaking strong thunderstorm.

Terry is still alive! Yay.