What are recommendations to keep shrimp?

martinmin

2 minutes ago, jasper5150 said:

Basically saltwater. When the eggs get fertilized they swim to saltwater to hatch them. The shrimplets grow up there and them move into freshwater. 

For cherry shrimp, did you test GH and KH in your tank?

29 minutes ago, jasper5150 said:

Basically saltwater. When the eggs get fertilized they swim to saltwater to hatch them. The shrimplets grow up there and them move into freshwater. 

Actually, from what I know, they get close to end of freshwater where it meets saltwater and use current for eggs to reach saltwater if I’m not wrong. So larvae ends up hatching in brackish water and then move to freshwater after some time. So adults don’t go to saltwater. 

32 minutes ago, martinmin said:

Yes you should. Cherry shrimp need certain amount of gh and kh in  their water. Kh because they like higher ph and a stable environment. With very low kh, your ph wont be balanced and shrimp like stability.

without proper gh, you will face molting issues. Too high gh, they cant crack the hard shell and cant molt. Too low gh, the shell is elastic, so they again cant crack it and molt. Molt failure usually means death.

https://www.shrimpscience.com/species/neocaridina/red-cherry-shrimp/

53 minutes ago, martinmin said:

I knew nothing about that until a couple months ago. Bought a test kit for Gh and Kh. My levels are really high. Suppose it’s from being on well water. 

22 minutes ago, Lennie said:

Actually, from what I know, they get close to end of freshwater where it meets saltwater and use current for eggs to reach saltwater if I’m not wrong. So larvae ends up hatching in brackish water and then move to freshwater after some time. So adults don’t go to saltwater. 

Yes you should. Cherry shrimp need certain amount of gh and kh in  their water. Kh because they like higher ph and a stable environment. With very low kh, your ph wont be balanced and shrimp like stability.

without proper gh, you will face molting issues. Too high gh, they cant crack the hard shell and cant molt. Too low gh, the shell is elastic, so they again cant crack it and molt. Molt failure usually means death.

That sounds more like it. Thanks for the added info!

Even with the high levels in my tank I still add Wonder Shell. Just want to make sure they have good molts

6 minutes ago, jasper5150 said:

I knew nothing about that until a couple months ago. Bought a test kit for Gh and Kh. My levels are really high. Suppose it’s from being on well water. 

That sounds more like it. Thanks for the added info!

Even with the high levels in my tank I still add Wonder Shell. Just want to make sure they have good molts

How "high" are your 2 Hs?

30 minutes ago, Lennie said:

Shrimp science is a good resource to learn!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:03 PM, jasper5150 said:

Here is my recent test strip. Not too accurate but a general idea

IMG_4786.jpeg.a69103d341eeb4439aa3ae9178c849d5.jpeg

Those numbers don't look any higher than mine, and probably lower (I know my pH is higher).  Red, yellow, and blue neocaridinas do just fine for me, though after several generations they may not be as large as they would in water with somewhat lower values.

I have reds and they are doing great. So far I haven’t seen any size diminishing as the generations go on. My Ph is right around 7.5 when I use the master kit. The test strips make it look a bit lower. It’s also in a color I can not distinguish shades very well

• Like 1