Jack Dempsey Cichlids

TheOldMan

I was always hesitant about getting Jack Dempsey cichlids but found them to be one of my favorite budget fish. They can be pretty aggressive especially when they are breeding but as a species only tank they are incredible. These are just the regular ones not the electric blue however I think the color is still so cool.

What are some of your favorite budget fish? 

IMG_0729.jpeg

Edited by TheOldMan
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

JDs are impressive! Never have tried them. My tank sizes are too small.

I kept hearing electric ones dying way too early all the time.

Is it genetics, or just like an inapproriate care in general, like black ghost knifefish usually dying before reaching their full size in most tanks?

Do you have any clue? 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:30 AM, Lennie said:

I kept hearing electric ones dying way too early all the time.

Is it genetics, or just like an inapproriate care in general, like black ghost knifefish usually dying before reaching their full size in most tanks?

Do you have any clue? 

With E. Blue Jacks, it is genetics. They're impressive juveniles, but as adults, things break down. Furthermore, they're difficult to propagate. It takes multiple generations, crossing lines, many holding tanks . . . exhausting. It has to be your true passion if you want to breed them!

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:55 PM, Fish Folk said:

With E. Blue Jacks, it is genetics. They're impressive juveniles, but as adults, things break down. Furthermore, they're difficult to propagate. It takes multiple generations, crossing lines, many holding tanks . . . exhausting. It has to be your true passion if you want to breed them!

Thanks for the explanation

That's not my type of fish to breed. Fish with quality of life issues worry me. I'd rather have healthy lines overall

• Like 1