Biorb tank kit filter

Sora

So I got this tank for free. It ha sa built in sponge filter type of thing. I put dirt and capped it with sand almost enough to cover the entire walls of the filter. But, I found the actual tank on Amazon and it looks like it’s supposed to suck water in from the bottom, (the bit covered with sand) and I don’t know if that is happening. Plenty of bubbles are still coming out the top.

I’m working on cycling the tank currently and it takes like a day for 2ppm of ammonia to get to almost zero. Should I replace the sand and dirt with gravel?  What should I do?

https://www.amazon.com/Tube-35-Aquarium-MCR-Light/dp/B0846C2C3V/ref=asc_df_B0846C2C3V/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598272718447&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13573668216803973127&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007481&hvtargid=pla-1684968692619&psc=1

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 6/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Sora said:

I’m working on cycling the tank currently and it takes like a day for 2ppm of ammonia to get to almost zero. Should I replace the sand and dirt with gravel?  What should I do?

You can siphon off the sand to remove organics and waste.  Clean as much debris as you can.  You can even move the substrate to a bucket and rinse it in the front yard since you are starting over cycling the tank.  If you want to replace it with something you prefer, by all means that is perfectly fine to do as well.

I would honestly just remove the internal filter and replace it with a sponge filter (a standard style like you see from Aquarium Co-Op) for the sake of making it easier to clean. 

In terms of explaining how the tank is supposed to function, pondguru has a really great video explaining the flow and operation of the filter.  He also talks about some of the faults with it that lead to filtration issues.  Please feel free to ask if you have any question about his video.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1