Help Identifying Neon Tetra Sickness

AndyR

Hi everyone, 

I would love some help identifying what’s going on with these two neons I have in quarantine. I stocked my tank a few weeks ago and these two came like this 😕 . In hindsight, I should have been paying more attention when they bagged the fish! Behavior seems normal though. I’ve been running a cycle of Melafix for the past week but I haven’t seen any improvements. Does anyone know what’s going on? 

E1F86847-727B-47F1-AA0E-9380B721AC6F.jpeg

767A3024-EEA3-454D-BE54-185AD79442FC.jpeg

I would be learning towards neon tetra disease am not a 100%. Sure that's what it is or it could be a bacterial infection if it's neon tetra disease that's spread when a fish dies in the tank and other fish feed on it ingesting to many pleistophora for the immune system to handle leading to neon tetra disease currently there no treatment available other then removing any fish showing symptoms so they don't die in the tank and get eaten it can also infect Rasboras danios barbs guppies angelfish goldfish other Tetra species melafix is more like a mild antiseptic treatment it's not effective at treating anything more serious what I would do is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for a week if after a week they look the same or have developed lumps in the muscle tissue your more than likely dealing with neon Tetra disease 

Thanks so much for the advice. It’s a shame that this is the state of things. For aquarium salt dosing, would that be 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons daily or, just one treatment to cover the week?

On 6/9/2023 at 10:11 PM, AndyR said:

Thanks so much for the advice. It’s a shame that this is the state of things. For aquarium salt dosing, would that be 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons daily or, just one treatment to cover the week?

Add 1 table spoon for 2 gallons add on day one  only put back in what you take out so if you do a two gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in