Trouble Cycling Shrimp Tank

2 minutes ago, CatherineD said:

The readings I sent are for the 36 gallon bow front with the algae issue. Not the Shrimp tank.
I know I put the message in the wrong place!
The tank has small river rock substrate not stratum. I don’t understand the PH or KH either! 
I never had readings like that before. I think I will remove the phosguard and use easy carbon - 1 pump every other day, after a water change, until I can figure it out!

I’ll try some CC in my filter. I bought some from aquarium co op awhile ago and never used it!
You don’t like the use of Baking Soda?

That Anubis next to the dish is Anubias Nana Petite on Lava Rock. It is really cute!

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, CatherineD said:

I’ll try some CC in my filter. I bought some from aquarium co op awhile ago and never used it!

I use seachem alkalinity booster which is probably baking soda in a jar with some other stuff. Honestly, if it works it works.  Whether it's CC or a buffer (the one I mentioned of baking soda) then it's all good.  The main thing is to keep it stable and not have it buffer then immediately go away. 

I don't know the exact use of baking soda per dose, but I do know it's been mentioned a few times.  Maybe search for "baking soda KH" on the search tool and it'll pop up with who has the right dose to use. 

You're going from 2 deg up to 4-5 deg or so I would think.  Just keep an eye on it over time is my main thing.

19 minutes ago, CatherineD said:

That Anubis next to the dish is Anubias Nana Petite on Lava Rock. It is really cute!

I'm upset at myself for missing out on the Co-Op Terra cotta anubias nana pots.

16 hours ago, nabokovfan87 said:

I use seachem alkalinity booster which is probably baking soda in a jar with some other stuff. Honestly, if it works it works.  Whether it's CC or a buffer (the one I mentioned of baking soda) then it's all good.  The main thing is to keep it stable and not have it buffer then immediately go away. 

I don't know the exact use of baking soda per dose, but I do know it's been mentioned a few times.  Maybe search for "baking soda KH" on the search tool and it'll pop up with who has the right dose to use. 

You're going from 2 deg up to 4-5 deg or so I would think.  Just keep an eye on it over time is my main thing.

I'm upset at myself for missing out on the Co-Op Terra cotta anubias nana pots.

I got the Anubias from AquaticMotiv (Etsy). That’s where I buy all my plants. 
Very inexpensive and great quality! 
I didn’t know Aquarium Co Op sold Anubis pots? I guess they sold them out!

I’m going to order some Alkalinity Booster and try it. CC seems to raise PH,KH, and GH.

On 6/22/2023 at 7:36 PM, CatherineD said:

The readings I sent are for the 36 gallon bow front with the algae issue. Not the Shrimp tank.
I know I put the message in the wrong place!
The tank has small river rock substrate not stratum. I don’t understand the PH or KH either! 
I never had readings like that before. I think I will remove the phosguard and use easy carbon - 1 pump every other day, after a water change, until I can figure it out!

Trouble with Shrimp Tank!
The readings on this tank are driving me 😝 

The ammonia and nitrite are going up. Ammonia 0.25 and Nitrite 0.15 or 0.25. 
I have done 2 - 50% water changes in 2 days and still the same. The water is still a little cloudy. 

The tank test with API test kit:
PH - 7.6, PH-H - 7.4, Ammonia - 0.25, Nitrite - 0.15 or 0.25, Nitrate - 10-20,
GH - 9, KH -3.  

The tank test with Aquarium Co Op test kit:
Nitrate - 10, Nitrite - 0, GH - 75-150, KH - 0, PH -6.4, Chlorine -0.

Tested Ammonia with API test strips:
Ammonia -0. 

I will have to do another water change and add some Fritz Zyme 7. 
Maybe there’s too many Shrimp (70 to 80).

What else can I do?

I have 2 TDS meters. One reads 257 and the other reads 294. 
I tested again right after the first readings and one has 312 and the other has 323. I don’t understand what is going wrong!

On 6/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, CatherineD said:

I don't know which kind you have, but you'd want to calibrate it. 

The tank test with API test kit:
PH - 7.6, PH-H - 7.4, Ammonia - 0.25, Nitrite - 0.15 or 0.25, Nitrate - 10-20,
GH - 9, KH -3.  

The water seems to be ok, just excess waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates).  This just means it's time for a water change and to get things a bit more clean for the tank.

A siphon would help remove waste in the substrate, I understand this isn't the easiest thing.  Some people stick a cover over the part of the siphon that goes into the tank and others put a net at where it drains to catch shrimp.   I tend to do the MST method of trying to settle the gunk in a bucket over time and finding them when they move.  Suck up the babies with a turkey baster or move them with a small net.

Hopefully all the steps above you mentioned results in the ammonia production slowing down and tank being stable.  If that isn't the case you can try to add some sort of ceramics to the tank to help.

I tested again right after the first readings and one has 312 and the other has 323. I don’t understand what is going wrong!

One of the big confusion points with shrimp is specifically TDS. 

Your GH and KH is good. So that means everything else isn't mission critical.  The TDS likely went up because of adding something to the tank.  It could be anything.  Even dechlorinator.

I only use, or only would use a TDS meter when seeing issues to do a sanity check and I would follow that with GH and KH testing.  I would only regularly use a TDS meter for the sake of making buffered water, starting with RO and adding buffers to an equivalent level.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't know which kind you have, but you'd want to calibrate it. 

The water seems to be ok, just excess waste (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates).  This just means it's time for a water change and to get things a bit more clean for the tank.

A siphon would help remove waste in the substrate, I understand this isn't the easiest thing.  Some people stick a cover over the part of the siphon that goes into the tank and others put a net at where it drains to catch shrimp.   I tend to do the MST method of trying to settle the gunk in a bucket over time and finding them when they move.  Suck up the babies with a turkey baster or move them with a small net.

Hopefully all the steps above you mentioned results in the ammonia production slowing down and tank being stable.  If that isn't the case you can try to add some sort of ceramics to the tank to help.

One of the big confusion points with shrimp is specifically TDS. 

Your GH and KH is good. So that means everything else isn't mission critical.  The TDS likely went up because of adding something to the tank.  It could be anything.  Even dechlorinator.

I only use, or only would use a TDS meter when seeing issues to do a sanity check and I would follow that with GH and KH testing.  I would only regularly use a TDS meter for the sake of making buffered water, starting with RO and adding buffers to an equivalent level.

Still having trouble with Shrimp Tank! I am going crazy😝 

I have done about 6 water changes so far everyday!  I added Fritz Zyme 7, three out of the 6 water changes.
Yesterday, the tank tested good Nitrites 0 and Ammonia about 0.15 ( can’t really tell the difference in api ammonia test). I dosed easy green ( 1 pump ) and 1/4 cup of fritz zyme 7.

Today I tested and the Ammonia and Nitrite are both back to 0.25. 
Could it be the Fritz Zyme or Easy Green or a combination of both?

I did a water change today and I am not dosing anything in the tank. 
I am starting to worry if I’m going to kill the shrimp!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, CatherineD said:

I did a water change today and I am not dosing anything in the tank. 
I am starting to worry if I’m going to kill the shrimp!

So... pause on the water changes and let's check 2 things.
1.  Test your tap water to see what's in it.
2.  Filtration, setup, etc.  (is there a need to add or expand the hardscape)

On 6/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

So... pause on the water changes and let's check 2 things.
1.  Test your tap water to see what's in it.
2.  Filtration, setup, etc.  (is there a need to add or expand the hardscape)

OK… House Tap Water - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. 

Today’s Shrimp Tank tests - Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0 or 0.5. 
Not doing another water change.

I only have Aquarium Co Op medium sponge filter in the tank. 
Thinking about adding a 2nd sponge filter, air stone, or using hob filter.

Tank contains 8 plants, 4 pieces driftwood, 1 piece cholla wood, and water lettuce on surface of water.

Just added some Indian Almond Leaves and a couple of Mineral Balls.

As far as hardscape goes, I am adding more rocks from my show tank and some new cholla wood. 

I have a bag of Black Polished Natural River Rock Stones, thought about putting some in!

Bought some New Plants and a small Shrimp Cage.
Two plants are for the shrimp tank and replacing two in the 36G. Waiting for all to arrive! 

Also, have a small White Seashell I had in my old shrimp tank, going to put that in.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, CatherineD said:

Thinking about adding a 2nd sponge filter, air stone, or using hob filter.

Add a second sponge as soon as you can.

As far as hardscape goes, I am adding more rocks from my show tank and some new cholla wood. 

What kind of rock?

I only have Aquarium Co Op medium sponge filter in the tank. 

I'm running two large ones in mine. I don't know what he size difference on the mediums, but yeah... One in each corner for me.  The shrimp do like that amount of air.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Add a second sponge as soon as you can.

What kind of rock?

I'm running two large ones in mine. I don't know what he size difference on the mediums, but yeah... One in each corner for me.  The shrimp do like that amount of air.

I have a few sponge filters different sizes. I’m going to try one on the other side of the tank. My Shrimp and Water Lettuce don’t like a lot of water movement!

I added the Almond Leaves, Cholla Wood (arrived today) and I put 1/4 cup ATM Colony in the tank. I’m going to add some Colony until I finish the bottle! Can’t hurt it!!

The Rocks I put in are smooth River Rocks. 

What do you think about adding the Black Polished River Stones and the White Seashell?

On 6/28/2023 at 4:23 PM, CatherineD said:

What do you think about adding the Black Polished River Stones and the White Seashell?

I don't think it will help / hurt.  It's a polished stone, so the surface isn't quite right for algae and such to grow on the surface easily.

The shell, I just honestly don't know what it would do.  It will add some calcium.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't think it will help / hurt.  It's a polished stone, so the surface isn't quite right for algae and such to grow on the surface easily.

The shell, I just honestly don't know what it would do.  It will add some calcium.

The black stones are only for decoration. Going to put about 10 stones around the black sand!
I have to soak them in hot soapy water for about 10 minutes, then rinse before putting them in.

The Shell is like this! 🐚 I had it in my old shrimp tank for 4 years. Its small but cute!

You think the 2nd sponge filter will help lowering the Ammonia, I hope?

On 6/28/2023 at 6:43 PM, CatherineD said:

You think the 2nd sponge filter will help lowering the Ammonia, I hope?

yes, it definitely won't hurt.  It will help with off-gassing as well as filtration (biological)

I can't say it'll be a certainty because I always over filter my tanks.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yes, it definitely won't hurt.  It will help with off-gassing as well as filtration (biological)

I can't say it'll be a certainty because I always over filter my tanks.

I added the 2nd sponge filter, drove the shrimp crazy for awhile. 
I did a 10 - 15% water change and dosed 1/8 cup of Colony right on top of the filter.

I think you hit the nail on the head! The course filter is not enough, it filters out large debris but not dirt, etc… 

Every time I do a water change the water is always a little brown, like it’s dirty. 

I tested the water before I put in the 2nd sponge. PH - 7.4-7.5,  Ammonia - 0-0.15,  Nitrite - 0.5-0.10. Hard to figure out API colors!

I am not touching the tank until tomorrow, if it clears then indeed it is the course filter!

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Awesome news.  Wonderful to hear.

Tank has cleared a little. Nitrite and Ammonia are 0-0.2 ppm. 
Nitrate is 15-22 ppm. Could be from the Colony yesterday!

Need your advice on Lighting. I have a Hygger, it’s either a 9w or 14w 
The light only has 3 settings for hours 3, 6, and 12. I don’t know what the best setting would be for a shrimp tank. 
It has different light intensity settings, from 100% to 10%. I don’t know the best setting for that either. I don’t think it will go on a timer. 
I do have other lights, but I like this one!

What do you think? 

On 6/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, CatherineD said:

The light only has 3 settings for hours 3, 6, and 12. I don’t know what the best setting would be for a shrimp tank. 

It's going to depend on the plants in a lot of cases.  Ultimately, 4-8 hours is the normal window.  I would run it at 6 and call that good.  If you have blue shrimp, you can add a 1-2 hour "color period" where you give them blue light using the night mode and then that should boost their coloration over time.  I run pinkish lights for my red shrimp.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, CatherineD said:

It has different light intensity settings, from 100% to 10%. I don’t know the best setting for that either. I don’t think it will go on a timer. 
I do have other lights, but I like this one!

This all depends on the plants and placement of things, tank height.  Just for the sake of clarity let me look back and then try to figure out what we're dealing with.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea How do you have your light set for your plants?  What height tank too would be helpful!

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 6/21/2023 at 9:06 AM, CatherineD said:

IMG_0955.jpeg

Some stems, but that plant you have will do fine with just about any conditions.  The main thing I would set the tank / light for is the lilly and the anubias.  I would start at something like 30-50%.  Let's see what @Chick-In-Of-TheSea has in a similar setup and use that as a guide as well.

What size is your tank?

On 6/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's going to depend on the plants in a lot of cases.  Ultimately, 4-8 hours is the normal window.  I would run it at 6 and call that good.  If you have blue shrimp, you can add a 1-2 hour "color period" where you give them blue light using the night mode and then that should boost their coloration over time.  I run pinkish lights for my red shrimp.

This all depends on the plants and placement of things, tank height.  Just for the sake of clarity let me look back and then try to figure out what we're dealing with.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea How do you have your light set for your plants?  What height tank too would be helpful!

I thought 6 hours would be best. The light is Hygger 14w FS with 3 light modes and 5 levels of light. The light never turns off, it goes down to 10% at night.

I don’t have blue shrimp, have been thinking about getting some for a long time only have red cherries.

Love the idea of pinkish water, this light has a red/blue mode that looks deep pinkish purple. Really pretty, but I can’t leave it like that all the time. Don’t think the plants would like it!

My new plants arrived today and are beautiful! I got rid of the 3 that suffered from the algae problem in the 36 gal bow front and bought new ones for both tanks.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Which tank? The 29g? It’s a 29 high and I have a Hygger 24/7 light and I just use the 24/7 setting. It cycles through the different times of day and then goes off. It’s meant to replicate nature.

C4ED0B56-BA8B-428B-8CB5-14DDD5A991FA.jpeg

The 36 gallon bow front is 20+” high. I have a Hygger 24/7 full spectrum light, set on 24/7. 
I removed the light do to an algae issue. Thought it might have been the cause, debating about using it again!

I’m working on my 10 gallon Red Cherry Shrimp tank. Have a Hygger 14w full spectrum light on it. The tank is 12.5” high and 20+” long. Trying to get the right light settings for it. It has 3 light modes and 5 levels of light.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 7:28 PM, CatherineD said:

Hygger 14w FS with 3 light modes and 5 levels of light.

I just tested the 9w version of that light. I ended up sending it back because the manual said it wasn’t waterproof. The reviewers were saying it doesn’t turn all the way off at night, but the animals need complete darkness to rest.  I probably could have used an external timer with it or something, but instead I ordered just another 24/7 light. I have the 24/7 lights on all my tanks, and I’m used to the way they work. If algae ever becomes a prob with 24/7 mode, then I use the timer (3 clicks) and wait two weeks to see if there’s improvement. If still an issue I will go to timer, 2 clicks. And so on.

I did like that red/blue mode you mentioned though on the other Hygger! It was nice!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1