Camallanus - ever found it before the 'poking out' stage?

TOtrees

I'm a careful researcher and am the last person to jump to conclusions. But I've found what I believe to be camallanus worms in a dead medaka. The thing is I'm not seeing any of the worm tails poking out of any fish bums. 

Forgive me if you're squeamish, but when I find dead fish (which is really rare, thankfully, and since I have so many fish and tanks singletons here and there don't get me fashed) I give them a squeeze to see if there is anything hiding upwind of the anal opening. For the first time ever today, I saw something that made me take a second look and break out the magnifying lens/loupe. Based on the red color, overall nematode look, pointy tail end, and chitinous head (plus the fact there was motion long after the host fish had died), I'm diagnosing camallanus.

Ugh. 

Fortunately, I have some flubendazole on hand. It's 6 months older than I'd like, but should do the trick. 

But what is perplexing, and the reason for this post, is that I found them before there was any outward sign. Every post I've read (which is a lot LOL) refers to them poking their tails out of the host's bum, and that's how they're found. Neither the dead fish, nor any others in the tank are showing this. Has anyone else ever found (confirmed) camallanus without seeing outward signs? 

The other perplexing thing is that this tank hasn't seen any new fish plants or anything in around 6 months or more. 

PS Anyone know if flubendazole as a tank treatment will wipe out my amanos? I can move them, but obviously don't want to transfer any nematode eggs to another tank. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:32 PM, TOtrees said:

I'm a careful researcher and am the last person to jump to conclusions. But I've found what I believe to be camallanus worms in a dead medaka. The thing is I'm not seeing any of the worm tails poking out of any fish bums. 

Forgive me if you're squeamish, but when I find dead fish (which is really rare, thankfully, and since I have so many fish and tanks singletons here and there don't get me fashed) I give them a squeeze to see if there is anything hiding upwind of the anal opening. For the first time ever today, I saw something that made me take a second look and break out the magnifying lens/loupe. Based on the red color, overall nematode look, pointy tail end, and chitinous head (plus the fact there was motion long after the host fish had died), I'm diagnosing camallanus.

Ugh. 

Fortunately, I have some flubendazole on hand. It's 6 months older than I'd like, but should do the trick. 

But what is perplexing, and the reason for this post, is that I found them before there was any outward sign. Every post I've read (which is a lot LOL) refers to them poking their tails out of the host's bum, and that's how they're found. Neither the dead fish, nor any others in the tank are showing this. Has anyone else ever found (confirmed) camallanus without seeing outward signs? 

The other perplexing thing is that this tank hasn't seen any new fish plants or anything in around 6 months or more. 

PS Anyone know if flubendazole as a tank treatment will wipe out my amanos? I can move them, but obviously don't want to transfer any nematode eggs to another tank. 

Flubendazole is harmful to shrimp and snails typically when you start to see the red worm's protruding from the anus that when they have a heavy parasite burden at that stage the fish can die from internal damage caused by the parasite even with treatment usually you will notice sunken belly spitting food out listlessness hiding away lack of appetite l before you see the red worms protruding 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Colu! That makes sense. I'm definitely seeing good appetites still, and no hiding away. I'm not rushing to get the meds in the tank, but am working towards it. Have bought some vodka for mixing, and pulled all the shrimps last night. 

Do you happen to know (or does any other dear reader know) how long camallanus can persist outside of the fish host? 

Anyone want to recommend how many treatments I should do? Specific protocol they favor? Please don't send me info for Expel P or levamisole or fenbendazole, my only option is flubendazole. 🙂

My understanding is that flubendazole, due to its mode of action and it being a whole-tank treatment will be effective in interrupting the cycle of re-infection (not a paralytic but rather kills the nematodes outright, both inside the fish  and in the water/substrate), any comments or feedback here? 

Camallanus worms can survive without a host from between 3weeks to 3month from what I have read you can treat with flubendazole once every 4 days if I remember rightly flubendazole work the same way as fenbendazole or levamisole and paralyse the parasite making it easyer for your fish to Expel any parasites @TOtrees

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

IMG_5513.jpeg.29660fd7595cffe77da88dfa30d17e40.jpegIMG_5514.jpeg.e155e13866bce0d35c624fcbf581672b.jpegI bought three male guppies at a swap, and put them through quarantine and the med trio routine. When I pulled them out of the quarantine tank, I saw that two were fat and sassy. The third looked skinny.

Now I’m confused about what to do. I split them up. The skinny one is isolated in a bare bottom bowl. He is eating/pooping. Since he has been treated with Paracleanse, should I continue feeding and watch, or should I assume he has Camallanus nematodes and treat for that.

I was going to add him to my main tank, but I don’t want to risk spreading anything.

Thank you

Looks like it has a sunken belly you could try feeding him up and monitor for a couple of days to see if he starts to put on weight if he doesn't then I would treat with Expel p once a week for 4 weeks I would treat all the guppies @Sherry

Edited by Colu