Freshwater Calcium Levels

Bev C

Hi  i was wondering  what is safe  calcium levels for freshwater ,, for mystery snails and red cherry shrimp .. ? 

I gave some shrimp and snails to a friend who never had snails or shrimp before  he is wanting to test his water for calcium he has a kit but I am not sure what the official levels for freshwater are shrimp and snails ,,,everything I google gives me a answer for saltwater or gives me different numbers  I am not sure what to tell him ..

for my tanks what works for me I have hard water but I add extra calcium by egg shells powder once  a week  ,  and liquid  calcium …the liquid i do not use much 1-2 drops in  in the raphasy food and  once a month i add 1/4 teaspoon liquid in my 10 and 20 gallon and 1/2 teaspoon liquid in my 55 gallon that works for my snails shrimp and tanks  

Thanks for any info ,,, 

Edited by Bev C

On 6/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, Bev C said:

for my tanks what works for me I have hard water but I add extra calcium by egg shells powder once  a week  ,  and liquid  calcium …the liquid i do not use much 1-2 drops in  in the raphasy food and  once a month i add 1/4 teaspoon liquid in my 10 and 20 gallon and 1/2 teaspoon liquid in my 55 gallon that works for my snails shrimp and tanks  

Calcium food is a great resource. That's where the egg shells come into play I think.

I use equilibrium to add GH to my tank. It takes a pretty good amount to raise it up on bigger tanks. GH via liquid test, I wouldn't recommend testing with any strips, is going to be in the 6 minimum up to about 12 range. I shoot for 7-8deg.

• Like 1

Has your friend ever tested the gh?

If the gh is between recommended levels for both shrimp and snails, what I would do is introduce snails and see how they do compared to day 1 and now in my tank.

As you know, mystery snails grow super fast, so new growth and quality of shell would tell if they have enough calcium in the water column/diet I think.

If the gh is lower than recommended levels, I use gh+ to boost my gh levels. That way, I make sure I add calcium as well as others needed.

• Like 1

@Lennie Thank you .. He must have tested GH before he has had fish  for a while ,,,and he says he uses the Api  master  kit plus  the Api gh kit he said got the Fluval fish water calcium test he says that is why he wants to know the best calcium level 

Lennie that is what I did ,,,with mine Yes the mystery snails grows fast  my water is hard the Gh  is high but i found out I have more magnesium then calcium my first 3 snails suffer i started using egg shells and liquid and I have  figured out …. all my snails have pretty shells now and my shrimp is healthy and having tons of babies 

@nabokovfan87  thank you very much for the info &  help  and  thank you for the  shrimp and snail care guides that you recommend I will bookmark it and send my friend the links to it 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1