Newbie CO2 question: Is there such a thing as running "a little" CO2?

Firstly, kudos to Irene's Aquarium Coop CO2 regulator how-to video. It took me from "CO2 looks hard" to "oh hey, I can do that" in about 6 minutes. However, now I'm onto the question of whether I should. 

1. I have a 5.5gal that I just started this week with tissue cultures, primarily low-medium light plants. I'm running a Coop 16" light on it. My goal is to turn it into a cherry shrimp/chili rasbora tank. I'm considering doing CO2 for a period of time, just to get things going, before stopping the CO2 injection. I just don't know what going off of CO2 is going to look like. I think Cory is also running CO2 on his new 65gal display tank and planning to eventually stop, but I don't think he's at the stopping point yet. I just don't know what to expect if I did stop CO2 and whether it's worth it .

2. I'm planning a 12gal for later this year and I'm considering doing a higher tech tank there. Is there such a thing as running a "low dose" CO2. Like running the lights at 50%, is there such a thing as running CO2 at a lower percentage, so that plants get some benefits without   me having to trim all the time? 

I tried to do some research online but I didn't have a lot of luck, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone with CO2 experience might be able to answer these questions.

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:38 PM, JennyFish said:

2. I'm planning a 12gal for later this year and I'm considering doing a higher tech tank there. Is there such a thing as running a "low dose" CO2. Like running the lights at 50%, is there such a thing as running CO2 at a lower percentage, so that plants get some benefits without   me having to trim all the time

Yes, any amount of co2 will benefit your plants at least somewhat assuming you are also providing them with adequate light and fertilizer to utilize that co2. I really like the baking recipe analogy. Making a pound cake requires equal parts of butter, flour and sugar. If you have 1 pound of butter, 1 pound of flour and 1/2 pound of sugar, you can only use 1/2 pound of each ingredient. However, adding any amount of additional sugar, will allow you use more of each ingredient and make more pound cake. So if your tank has plenty of light and plenty of fertilizer, but barely any co2, then adding any amount of co2 will help.

In terms of not having to trim all the time, I think that mostly depends on the types of plants you are growing. Most stem plants will require constant trimming, but, crypts, anubias and java fern will not.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:38 PM, JennyFish said:

1. I have a 5.5gal that I just started this week with tissue cultures, primarily low-medium light plants. I'm running a Coop 16" light on it. My goal is to turn it into a cherry shrimp/chili rasbora tank. I'm considering doing CO2 for a period of time, just to get things going, before stopping the CO2 injection. I just don't know what going off of CO2 is going to look like. I think Cory is also running CO2 on his new 65gal display tank and planning to eventually stop, but I don't think he's at the stopping point yet. I just don't know what to expect if I did stop CO2 and whether it's worth it .

2. I'm planning a 12gal for later this year and I'm considering doing a higher tech tank there. Is there such a thing as running a "low dose" CO2. Like running the lights at 50%, is there such a thing as running CO2 at a lower percentage, so that plants get some benefits without   me having to trim all the time? 

Welcome to the forums!

Bentley Pascoe is a huge fan of the BBQ method with CO2.  Low and slow...

He has a few videos on the topic as well as one specifically about setting up the ACO regulator.  It's got a little bit more detail and might give you the answers to a few questions.  Green Aqua, Jurijs Jutjajevs, and George Farmer also would be good resources to check into.

That being said, lets dive in!

1. When I went off CO2 all of my plants crashed on me.  It wasn't easy.  The more you add and if you have an underlying imbalance issue, then it might result in similar circumstances.  Ultimately, it shouldn't crash the tank, but in my experience, I had a very difficult time dialing the plants back into and growing them normally. 

2.  Yes there definitely is.  I can't say what the light % should be because it's all going to be based on plant selection, planting location, and what those variables dictate.  I would encourage you to not be afraid of trimming.  That's just future plant sales 🙂 .  If you do have a plant that is "too crazy" you can always sub it out for something that doesn't grow as crazy.  I had an issue with Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus because it grows so fast and is a gigantic plant compared to others.  It happens....

• Like 1

No, IMO co2 is a time acceleratior. It not only makes your plants grow faster if supplied with the proper nutrients & lighting. But it also speeds the time in which plants show nutritional deficiencies, melt, die & algae to take over if you don't supply their proper needs. The amount of injected co2 controls that time line.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1