Missing Fin!

AndyR

Hey everyone,

I just stocked my 9 gallon tank with 2 dwarf gouramis and 6 neon tetras! One of the neons is missing a fin and I’m a little worried about his safety with the other fish. Does anyone have any advice here?

On 5/28/2023 at 10:21 PM, AndyR said:

Hey everyone,

I just stocked my 9 gallon tank with 2 dwarf gouramis and 6 neon tetras! One of the neons is missing a fin and I’m a little worried about his safety with the other fish. Does anyone have any advice here?

Hello Andy, welcome to the forums!

I am very sorry about your current issue.  I would suggest moving the fish to QT or moving that fish into a breeder box.  You'll want a relatively lower power circulation while the fish recovers.  You can use things like aquarium salt and indian almond leaves as a preventative for mild issues and to boost recovery of the fish.  When it comes to something a bit more serious, Maracyn (erythromycin) and Ich-X would be great to use to combat any potential fungal or bacterial issues. 

Keep us posted and hoping for the best for you.

• Like 1

Thanks so much! I do have a breeder tank and some aquarium salt. I’ll give that a shot this morning and report back. I’m sure it’s case by case but, do you have a general, recommended time frame for the quarantine?

On 5/29/2023 at 6:02 AM, AndyR said:

I’m sure it’s case by case but, do you have a general, recommended time frame for the quarantine?

The last fish I had with a fin issue took about 2 weeks to really recover. I can't say anything specific, but it's something you'd monitor. I wouldn't be surprised to give the fish 4-6 weeks to recover, personally.

• Like 1