oddball/monster fish on a nano scale?

I was wondering is there and fish that could go in a tank 40g or less that act like monster fish but are much smaller? because I really like seeing the aggressive eating that the monster fish do but I don't have space or money right now for a big tank.

any recommendations?

Edited by Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics

Tiger barbs! 🙂

...also, Buenos Aires tetras.

This gives me a good idea for my next tank (30 long).  Either BA tetras and tiger barbs or electric yellow labs. 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

@Galabar@nabokovfan87 great recommendations but I should have specified im interested in more "oddball" type fish for a 40g tank.

Gotcha.  Maybe:

• glass catfish
  • loaches
  • small puffers
  • archerfish
  • African butterfly fish
  • silver dollars
  • knifefish
  • pipefish
Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

Are you looking for a single fish in the tank or an oddball/nano-monster 'community?'

If you are thinking just a single specimen to rule the tank I'd say find a male convict cichlid. I know, I know, it's not rare, oddball or uncommon, but a full grown adult convict male is an impressive fish. And dedicating a tank to one as a wetpet, I think, checks the oddball box. Another single medium size cichlid could easily go there as well. Might want to avoid pairs unless youre prepared for spawns and/or aggression. 

Or you could think about some of the medium size aggressive puffers. They tend to be a bit inactive so you could go the route I've gone and keep a green spot puffer in brackish water. Very personable, aggressive eater, unusual, and not difficult at all. 

Those are at least things I've done and enjoyed. 

On 5/18/2023 at 11:34 PM, MAC said:

Or you could think about some of the medium size aggressive puffers. They tend to be a bit inactive so you could go the route I've gone and keep a green spot puffer in brackish water. Very personable, aggressive eater, unusual, and not difficult at all. 

Oh... yes.  Brilliant idea.  One of the hairy puffers maybe!

On 5/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

@Galabar@nabokovfan87 great recommendations but I should have specified im interested in more "oddball" type fish for a 40g tank.

Exodons / buck tooth tetra are pretty unique!  Straight up Piranha attitude it's a very difficult challenge to keep them from thinning their own herd out.

I would say maybe something like pipefish.  I don't know if they would fit that tank but a ghost knife might fit the bill too.  I would check into goby species as well.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Oh... yes.  Brilliant idea.  One of the hairy puffers maybe! 

The hairy puffer us definitely one I want to keep at some point. Another one I've rarely seen but am intrigued by is Tetraodon Miurus. 

• Like 1

What about Elephant Nose fish (Gnathonemus petersii)

Very active, definitely oddball. Would slurp the worms like crazy. Not predatory tho, but territorial.

Once, when I was at my LFS, I had a friend with me and when she saw them she got very impressed by their interesting look. They surely don't look like any other fish in the hobby.

Also look how cute they are as babies 😄 

juvenile elephant nose fish | Fish, Water animals, Tropical aquarium