Black Moor Fungus Advice

Izzyf

Hi all, I got my fish from my local pet store and I’ve noticed that she’s had small white spots/marks by her fins, which I noticed almost immediately as they stand out a bit against her colour. 

I have kept fish a few years ago and I have recently taken it up again, so I am very much a beginner but I have been trying to learn as much as possible. I have looked at common fish diseases so I returned to my local pet store and asked them about it as I was worried she had something like velvet or white spot, I was told she did have white spot and I treated her for it as directed, however it didn’t clear up. 

I have been to other fish retailers such as Maidenhead Aquatics who have told me it is fungus. I was initially given tonic salts and two days ago I used Interpet anti fungus and finrot. It doesn’t look like it’s done anything yet but I don’t know if it will take a few more days to fully kick in. I have removed the carbon from my tank as well as directed. 

Does anyone have any advice from experience? I am not seeing her behave out of the ordinary, eg. there’s no rubbing against anything in the tank, she’s eating and swimming just fine. The tank is 100 litres and the water levels are all normal too and I change 25% water every two weeks. 

IMG_9610.png

IMG_9611.png

IMG_9605.png

IMG_9797.jpeg

IMG_9798.jpeg

Edited by Izzyf

I’ve had success with fish fungus in the past treating with Maracyn, and Ick-x as an added measure bc some illnesses are hard to diagnose. When the med trio hasn’t worked for me, I’ve had great success with some seachem products such as kanaplex and polyguard (worked awesome for me when I didn’t know what the exact illness is). Tried medicated food before when I was new and it helped but this would probably be my last course of action now.  Not well versed with meds and diseases that’s @Colu , I just thought I would share what’s worked for me before as asked…

On 5/13/2023 at 10:09 AM, Colu said:

The  white patches don't look like they have a fuzzy appearance that could just be because of the picture is it eating ok swimming fine any  rapid breathing @Izzyf

Yes totally fine! Eating ok and no gasping for air, not rubbing against anything and swimming ok

On 5/13/2023 at 11:28 AM, Izzyf said:

Yes totally fine! Eating ok and no gasping for air, not rubbing against anything and swimming ok

Does it look like the  white patches at the base of the fins has a fuzzy appearance  if not it might just be a slightly lighter colour at the base of the fins and nothing to worry about 

On 5/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, Colu said:

Does it look like the  white patches at the base of the fins has a fuzzy appearance  if not it might just be a slightly lighter colour at the base of the fins and nothing to worry about 

It doesn’t seem to be fuzzy, it’s been almost a week since I put the treatment in and it looks the same. I’m not sure what to make of it!

IMG_9872.png

IMG_9873.png

IMG_9874.png

On 5/15/2023 at 7:28 PM, Izzyf said:

It doesn’t seem to be fuzzy, it’s been almost a week since I put the treatment in and it looks the same. I’m not sure what to make of it!

IMG_9872.png

IMG_9873.png

IMG_9874.png

As it doesn't have a fuzzy appearance I think it's just natural colour just slightly lighter at the base of the fins and nothing to worry about I would just monitor for the next couple of weeks