Recommended GH and KH for Cherry Shrimp

Shrimpee

I have had a shrimp death recently and it was from molting problems. All my other tank parameters are safe except the TDS, GH, and the KH. How do I stop my shrimp dying? Is there a quick way to lower the TDS or the GH?

On 5/11/2023 at 7:28 PM, Shrimpee said:

All my other tank parameters are safe except the TDS, GH, and the KH.

Those are exactly what affects the shrimp molting.

What are your parameters? What were the parameters they were being kept before you?

On 5/11/2023 at 7:28 PM, Shrimpee said:

Is there a quick way to lower the TDS or the GH?

Quick way of doing something in a shrimp tank is almost never a good idea. Do you have RO water?

On 5/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, Lennie said:

Those are exactly what affects the shrimp molting.

What are your parameters? What were the parameters they were being kept before you?

My parameters at the moment are about 6.5 PH, 0 Nitrites, 40 Nitrates, About 2 KH, and 15 GH

On 5/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, Lennie said:

Quick way of doing something in a shrimp tank is almost never a good idea. Do you have RO water?

I don't have RO water 

On 5/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, Shrimpee said:

My parameters at the moment are about 6.5 PH, 0 Nitrites, 40 Nitrates, About 2 KH, and 15 GH

I don't have RO water 

Parameters do not sound too off to me ngl. I would surely keep nitrates less than 20, lower the better.

Ph could be a lil higher and gh could be a lil lower, but still not the end of the world.

What about their diet?

Also when did you get them? Did they stress molt? Stress molt may effect future moltings even if they look okay for that period

Edited by Lennie

On 5/11/2023 at 2:15 PM, Lennie said:

Parameters do not sound too off to me ngl. I would surely keep nitrates less than 20, lower the better.

Ph could be a lil higher and gh could be a lil lower, but still not the end of the world.

What about their diet?

Also when did you get them? Did they stress molt? Stress molt may effect future moltings even if they look okay for that period

I feed them Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and also cut up cucumber.

I got them about a month ago and I don't know if they stress molted

On 5/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, Shrimpee said:

I have had a shrimp death recently and it was from molting problems. All my other tank parameters are safe except the TDS, GH, and the KH. How do I stop my shrimp dying? Is there a quick way to lower the TDS or the GH?

Get yourself a test kit for GH/KH.  TDS does not give you enough information for keeping shrimp.

If you ever have molting issues, exclusively feed shrimp foods with calcium in the food itself.  (shrimp cuisine, etc.)

GH for my Neos: 6 is minimum.  7-8 is preferred.
KH for my Neos: doesn't matter as long as the PH is stable.  I tend to use PH as the value of care in lieu of KH.  Meaning.... I make sure PH is close to 7 and doesn't dip too high or too low. 

Using the strips, I thought I was fine, GH was dropping off and getting too low.  At that point I got the GH/KH kit and found that my KH was extremely high and my GH was getting very low.

In terms of lowering TDS you can use something like an RO unit, Zerowater filters, Distilled water as options to introduce lower TDS water.  I would still opt for testing things after that point as well because you might not be aware of how well the filtration is performing for you.  You can also run carbon for the time being in the tank to start filtering out anything you can if need be.  Aquarium soil substrate can also be used if you have very hard water, but note it may pull nutrients you need in the tank for the shrimp.... (just be prepared to add some GH Back if you need to)

On 5/11/2023 at 9:34 AM, Shrimpee said:

Your GH looks pretty high.  This can make the shells too thick/hard for them to molt through.

https://www.shrimpscience.com/articles/shrimp-tank-gh/

@Cinnebuns used a tall bucket to try to pull lower TDS water from the tap after letting the minterals in the water settle a little bit.  They are dealing with very similar issues to what you're experiencing as well 😞 .

Edited by nabokovfan87
added tds link