New 10 gallon filter choices - recommendations and/or thoughts

Jim Fox

I have a successful 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that has been in use for almost 20 years.  I have an older Fluval cannister filter system (coarse and medium sponge filters and bio-stars), a variety of live plants, and a 5watt UV light/powerhead that runs a few hours a day to keep the water clear, etc.  Fish are primarily tetras, a kissing Gourami, Bristlenose Pleco, Cory Catfish, and a few Nertile snails.  I recently decided to bring my 10 gallon aquarium out of storage and create a new aquarium with black small gravel substrate and live plants with the idea of doing more tetras along with either shrimp or a Betta fish.  I have set the aquarium up and actually transferred about 5 gallons of water from the 55 gallon tank into the 10 gallon to help get the nitrate cycle going quicker.  As for lighting, the big tank has a Fluval LED while the 10 gallon just has an Aqueon LED econo hood that seems to give pretty good lighting for the plants but isn't as adaptable as the Fluval which is awesone!  As for filtration, this is my question: I have a Fluval Nano filter which I can supercharge with some of the bio-stars from the big Fluval cannister filter or I could use a sponge filter with airstone I recently got from aquarium co-op.  Or, I could use both although I would prefer to use just one of them since I will probably also want to put in a UV light to run periodically to help keep the water clear.  I was curious as to what others would recommend and/or suggest.  I always enjoy compare notes from other aquarium lovers. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Jim Fox said:

and actually transferred about 5 gallons of water from the 55 gallon tank into the 10 gallon to help get the nitrate cycle going quicker

My understanding is that this won't cycle the tank quicker because beneficial bacteria isn't in the water, it's in your filter and on your substrate. You could transfer some bio stars from your canister though, that would help. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Jim Fox said:

I have a Fluval Nano filter which I can supercharge with some of the bio-stars from the big Fluval cannister filter or I could use a sponge filter with airstone I recently got from aquarium co-op.  Or, I could use both although I would prefer to use just one of them

I would use the sponge filter, because having an airstone is somewhat important. Adding the fluval filter on top of that is optional. I probably would because I like having a place to put miscellaneous filter media like purigen and activated carbon when I want to use it. 

I will probably use both filters for a while until the plants have gotten better established and will then cut back to the sponge filter and monitor the water quality over the following month.  If things start to head south, I can always start the second filter back up or add another sponge filter.  I used the bio-stars from the established cannister filter and the water from the big aquarium to help move the cycling process forward.  I still figure a few weeks though for the process to be completed.  I appreciate the comments and suggestions.