First time breeding mystery snails! The babies are SO tiny and adorable!

Goldie Blue

I picked up two mystery snails about two months ago, and they got right to laying eggs. I have about 7 egg sacs still in the floating incubator, and the first one hatched today! I had to share with someone because it's really exciting for me! They are about the size of a pin head, I knew they'd be small but wasn't expecting this small. 

I crumbled the rest of their sac, plus crab cuisine, and some homemade snello. Is there anything else I should be feeding them at this point? 

IMG20230410192846.jpg

IMG20230410192853.jpg

• Love 4

So cute!  Congrats!

Do I see spots?  Spots mean dark foot. They possible look black or maybe blue but some of the dark foot ones are harder to tell at this age. Here's a diagram. 

ws4j88oeeb271 (2).jpg

Edit to add:  actually maybe jade. I'm bad at telling the dark foot ones apart at this age haha

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:25 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Do I see spots?  Spots mean dark foot.

They do have spots!

I had another clutch hatch last night, and it's insane how big the first batch grew in just a few short days. They are also coloring up a bit. It's amazing to watch. I also caught the momma laying the eggs last night...that was definitely not at all how I expected it to go lol. 

I am new to this type of snail keeping. Both snails are dark foot, so does that mean they will always have dark foot babies?

Here are the new babies along with the ones from last week. My fish keep photobombing while trying to get photos and making the lens go blurry lol. I'll see if I can get some better ones to show you.

This has been a fascinating experience for sure!

IMG20230416235232.jpg

IMG20230416235652.jpg

@Goldie Blue   What are you feeding them? I had a clutch hatch tonight, before I could give it to the person who wanted it. I have them in an HOB style breeder box. I can hardly even see them. (I have old eyes). I put a bit of java moss in. I have no idea what to feed them. I'm not a snail person and was saving the clutches for a breeder. (I posted more details in General discussion) 

• Like 1

@KittenFishMom You can crumble the clutch in there and they'll eat that if you have nothing else on hand. The babies ate all of the clutch before going for the food listed below. 

I'm putting crab cuisine, homemade snello, snowflake, and blanched zucchini in the breeder box and they've devoured all of it! 

Hope you find some success, they're so cute to watch! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:15 PM, Goldie Blue said:

Both snails are dark foot, so does that mean they will always have dark foot babies?

Most likely yes but not guaranteed. Dark foot is dominant. If both carry a recessive for light foot there's a chance at some light foot but most likely you will get all dark. 

• Thanks 1