Sharing how I changed my guppy ways

Cinnebuns

I LOOOOVED my blue dragons so when I messed up and ruined their line I was sad. Tbh, it was kind of for the better. I have a 1 bedroom apartment and limited energy so I can't have 100 tanks. I also like to play with multiple things and not dedicate a bunch of tanks to 1 thing. So I found the solution for me!  A mutt guppy tank focusing only on blue mutts!

The idea is to start with high end strains of blue (or possibly purple as it is the same genetically).  Luckily, I have been helping out a lady who did almost exactly what I would have chosen anyway!  Her starting fish were 3 female purple dragons, 1 male blue Moscow, 1 male galaxy blue tail, and 1 red dragon (red, boo hiss!).  When she gets over run, she sends a bunch of fry my way. I then raise them up and pick the ones I like! 

Now, my first generation in this tank is starting to show color and I SEE BLUUUUUUUEEEEE!!  (I may have a blue problem when it comes to fish idk.)  I saw a couple glimpses of blue the other day on a couple fish but today there's LOTS on almost everyone!  It's kinds fun how much guppies change in just one day while coloring up!

The tank def needs some work so no judgy!  It's one of my foremost goals right now. But here's the BLUUUUUEEEEE!!!

Now...that red dragon male...let's talk about him..  I have nothing against the guy personally but that 1 red in a sea of blue/purple really messes with things. If you don't already know, in guppies red is dominant over blue. So even a tiny bit of red can ruin the whole gig. The only red I wanna see in the tank should come from the fry-control female betta. Who btw is doing a perfect job!  (Round of applause for Rah!!!).  But...

I plan to put the ones showing any red in my cory juveniles grow out tank until I can find them another home. 

I may eventually break and go with rainbow over blue since it will be easier to rehome them. People who are into mutts very seldomly want just 1 color. They typically want a mix. But for now, this makes me happy! 😊 

• Love 1

30 min!!  Not even 30 min pasted since I posted this and I'm tempted to break the red barrier!!

This guy is not one that was bred in my mutt tank. He came directly from the lady I was talking about. Omg he's pretty!!  You can definitely see the galaxy blue tail traits in the pattern on the body and the red dragon in the tail!  Ugh!! @Chick-In-Of-TheSea and @Guppysnail you my peeps on this one!  (Yes I just said peeps. Yes I'm old!) What do I doooooo?!

20230326_155702.jpg

20230326_155744.jpg

20230326_155906.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 5:05 PM, Miska said:

Beautiful! I just got two mosaic purples (I could not help it, I was at the fish swap with @Guppysnail and I kept coming back to them!!) I would take mutt guppies any day of the week. ❤️ 

I've learned in life whether if it's an item on the menu at a restaurant or a fish, if you keep going back to it then that's probably the choice that will make you happy 😊 

• Love 1

On 3/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I've learned in life whether if it's an item on the menu at a restaurant or a fish, if you keep going back to it then that's probably the choice that will make you happy 😊 

So true!!! Someone was thinking about buying them, and after another person took the set I really wanted I couldn't wait any longer, I am so excited about it and I can't wait to buy the vender's rice fish too!!! Once I get some ponds set up. lol. 

Tank Racks would give you more room to grow out your fish, and could also be visibly appealing? Not trying to urge you to get more tanks, lol. Buuuut. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, Miska said:

So true!!! Someone was thinking about buying them, and after another person took the set I really wanted I couldn't wait any longer, I am so excited about it and I can't wait to buy the vender's rice fish too!!! Once I get some ponds set up. lol. 

Tank Racks would give you more room to grow out your fish, and could also be visibly appealing? Not trying to urge you to get more tanks, lol. Buuuut. 

Haha. Yes true but I also have health issues which limit how much energy I can spend on them. Some weeks it can be hard to keep up. I'm kinda just below that line. I don't wanna reach it. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 6:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Cinnebuns the only thing I know about guppies.. is that they’re like rabbits..

oh and that they eat everything 🤣 My friend has a few guppies. Like this guy. But she’s a casual hobbyist and doesn’t have any rhyme or reason to the breeding methods, she just lets whatever happens happen.

68F48475-6100-40BF-BC23-A11FE8BBC097.jpeg.4d2e235149865efce061da42f2ef88b6.jpeg

I had one like that once that i just bought from my LFS. Apparently it is an official strain but not high end. I think it's cool looking and I loved that dude. 

• Like 1