My LFS is closing...

asondhi

So as the title says, my locally owned LFS is shutting down. Wandering into the store on a whim is what got me into the hobby and unfortunately, shortly after moving to a brand new location they just announced they are closing their doors for good. 
My big concern is that they were the only fish store in the area (aside from the petcos/petsmarts). While I preferred to get most of my supplies from the LFS, ACO has a lot of it covered so I'm all good there, but what are your recommendations for where I can get fish now?

I live in the Rochester (NY) area- anyone from nearby know of any fish stores worth traveling for? 

• Sad 2

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289039317903018/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/849905881785041/forsaleposts/

I recommend reaching out to them and asking them if they know of any other LFS or where they source their fish. I have found recently that fish clubs, and locals, are invaluable to this hobby. At least for me. I have already learned more locally, than I have from watching YouTube (online also supplements this) but seeing it, and interacting, and listening to local experiences is exceptionally important to me. You may not find that, and that's okay! But it's a good place to start.

• Like 1

i think mine stays open by the owner and a friend working most of the open hours. I try to support by buying what i can there, mainly fish.

Mine had some nice looking plecos that remind me of the select aquatics ones i've seen pictures of. Clubs are a goal of mine to visit this year. I'm going to Syracuse to their annual auction in a month. I hope you find one too.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:26 PM, asondhi said:

Not that I know of or was able to find but honestly a lot of in person clubs don't have the best online presence. 

It seems a lot of clubs became inactive for 1-2 years but are starting up again after delving through my local states for them.

• Like 1

It’s always sad when you see another LFS closing.  You being in Rochester I am guessing you are talking about RBA.  I liked that store too.  I live in the Utica area, but I work in Buffalo a lot.  I would suggest The Fish Place in N. Tonawanda. There’s a store by the Buffalo Airport called Blue Lagoon. I have not been to it yet myself but on my list to stop next time I am out that way.  They are listed on the COOP site as an affiliate.  Buffalo also has a good aquarium club Called the Tropical Fish Club of Erie County worth checking out.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, Dan_C said:

It’s always sad when you see another LFS closing.  You being in Rochester I am guessing you are talking about RBA.  I liked that store too.  I live in the Utica area, but I work in Buffalo a lot.  I would suggest The Fish Place in N. Tonawanda. There’s a store by the Buffalo Airport called Blue Lagoon. I have not been to it yet myself but on my list to stop next time I am out that way.  They are listed on the COOP site as an affiliate.  Buffalo also has a good aquarium club Called the Tropical Fish Club of Erie County worth checking out.

Yup, it was RBA. Thanks for the recommendations! I can't believe I didn't think to check the coop site for affiliate stores!

Buffalo isn't terribly far, especially not for some good fish! Just didn't want to drive all the way out and be disappointed