Water Chemistry

CJs Aquatics

My tap water being tested currently using an api test kit reads high ph of like 8.4+ if I did it correctly and I tested GH/KH at 6 drops GH, 4 drops KH… I have been keeping fish long enough to know a little about these numbers but honestly water chemistry is still a bit of a foreign language to me, I’m trying to dial things in specifically. What would you do with these numbers to make your water optimal for a majority of things? 

• Administrators

I would do nothing. Optimizing water is like optimizing your silverware drawer. I guess it accomplishes something... but often times it won't make a difference in your life.

Thank you @Cory, I’ve never chased parameters I just recently thought perhaps I should take a closer look as I have suspicions things were shifting a bit and causing various things to be negatively effected. I feel a bit better now actually I appreciate you, I’ll just do more maintenance and that should help with stability. 

• Administrators
On 3/23/2023 at 1:02 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Thank you @Cory, I’ve never chased parameters I just recently thought perhaps I should take a closer look as I have suspicions things were shifting a bit and causing various things to be negatively effected. I feel a bit better now actually I appreciate you, I’ll just do more maintenance and that should help with stability. 

There's probably bigger gains in water cirulation, filter media, foods you feed, light schedule etc. 😉