Vacation tips

DiscusLover

Hello everyone, I was going to leave for vacation for about a month and I was wondering what are some tricks and tips to keep my tanks running and well when I am gone, I have no one to watch my tanks, anything is appreciated!

Edited by DiscusLover

On 3/19/2023 at 10:34 PM, Schuyler said:

You'll be gone for a month?

How many tanks do you have and what type of fish? (I feel like you may have discus...)

For that length of time I would look into a maintenance service

Haha, no discus, was going to get some again after my trip. I have about 4 tanks, 2 not really worried about because both are a no filter no waterchange heavily planted tank, other hand I have a 55 decently planted with large school of cardinal, rummy, 3 midnight rams, a angelfish pair, 2 sae, and a lot of kulhis and a saltwater tank but we like to stick in freshwater😄

On 3/19/2023 at 10:40 PM, Scapexghost said:

Buy an autofeeder and everthing will probably be fine. If its a small lidless tank most or all the water could evaporate

I have read conflicted stories about auto feeders, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Edited by DiscusLover

On 3/20/2023 at 12:53 AM, DiscusLover said:

Haha, no discus, was going to get some again after my trip. I have about 4 tanks, 2 not really worried about because both are a no filter no waterchange heavily planted tank, other hand I have a 55 decently planted with large school of cardinal, rummy, 3 midnight rams, a angelfish pair, 2 sae, and a lot of kulhis and a saltwater tank but we like to stick in freshwater😄

I have read conflicted stories about auto feeders, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Aquarium co op makes an autofeeder. Autofeeders have their issues but the alternative is the fish not eating for a month

• Like 1

If going to be gone for a month I would look into the autofeeder option, but at the same time you say three of four tanks are heavily planted, you may not have to worry about it, because if the fish load is small, there might be enough algae and bio life that can sustain the fish. If the tanks aren't covered, I would get covers on them to help keep down evaporation. I know even with lids, a couple of my tanks will evaporate quite a bit in a week. You'll especially want it for the saltwater tank, and if you don't have one already, get an auto top off set up for it. Otherwise you could come home to a tank with really high salinity if it has evaporated a lot of water. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I know my response might be a tad late, but for future reference and anyone else wondering, here's a tip for keeping your tanks in good shape while you're away. You can try using automatic feeders for your fish and set them to dispense food sparingly. Also, consider investing in a timer for your tank lights to maintain a consistent day-night cycle.
Speaking of vacations, I totally get your wanderlust! I love traveling and exploring new places. Just last summer, I had an awesome adventure in Germany. I came across a handy ticket booking service called https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/. It's worth checking out if you're planning any trips.

Edited by KaylynnWall