Oxygen levels help

sambswll

So my 10 gallon planted tank has been cycled for years and never had any issues. I've been treating some new tetras for ich the last couple days with ich x. Suddenly today after the water change and treatment the oxygen levels got too low. All my fish, shrimps, and snails are clinging to the surface for oxygen. I'm not sure what's going on.

The sponge filter is working and providing bubbles, all the water perimeters are perfect. Temp is 75 as usual. I ran out and got another air pump and bubbler and just got that going.

I know meds can sometimes cause bacterial blooms but my research and past experience says that if the parameters are fine that should sort out with the last few water changes. I'm worried for all my babies 😥 I'm not sure if I should do another water change? I just did one this morning (1/3) and don't want to stress them out more... Or should I wait to see if the extra bubbler helps? Other ideas?

If you don't aerate the new water you are adding in, it will not be oxygen rich as far I know.

Plants and bacteria also keep using oxygen during night time as well as your fish and inverts. As you mentioned, it is generally adviced to increase the potential oxygen providers/surface agitation during medicine use.

Surface agitation plays a big role in the oxygen levels rather than the bubbles you see from the sponge filter. Make sure you have a good amount of surface agitation and it is not being blocked by lots of floating plants or so. If you have a chance, try to aerate the new water before water change maybe. I believe an extra airstone in the tank should also help. You can see its effect on oxygen levels in this video:

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 2:00 AM, sambswll said:

Thank you this is helpful!

yw! 

hope the video helps to understand the relation between filters/airstone/surface agitation and oxygen levels in the tank.

Wishing the best to your pets. hope they get better asap

• Like 1

Meds often lower the dissolved oxygen. I always use extra air when meds are in play. As said dosing meds right after a water change when the tank is oxygen poor can be harsh. I usually wait at least an hour or two after change. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

Meds often lower the dissolved oxygen. I always use extra air when meds are in play. As said dosing meds right after a water change when the tank is oxygen poor can be harsh. I usually wait at least an hour or two after change. 

@sambswll, to @Guppysnail's point, I once measures oxygen suppression of various aquarium meds I had around. It may be of help. Good luck. 

702771380_OxygenChart.png.63c40cc84ad6590ef21ca12a15725955.png.959e741d59decf222dfe85d47e06294d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1